Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Stiffness after complete knee replacement

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I had complete knee replacement surgery 4 weeks ago. I have been doing my physical therapy as directed. yet, the front of my knee ...below the knee cap is extremely stiff. I cannot bend yet at 90 degress except when the therapist pushes very hard.
I am concerned that if we do not get past this soon...it could be permanent and then i willnot walk properly or be able to ride a bike etc.
Please send your comments and experience. Will this improve over time?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
My husband has gone through two knee replacements...He has worked with a Therapist with both of them...Give yourself time...You will get more confident in yourself and a better range of motion as you improve and your knee becomes stronger...Walking will not be a problem, but again put some weeks in back of you...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied June 13th, 2009
stiffness after knee replacement
How long did it take your husband to have 90 degree bend?
My knee feels less stiff
but the knee has limited range.
Pleae give more reply.
|

replied June 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Your knee will never return to where it was...It is a replacement...The bend will never be the same...Be happy with what you have and will attain...This is a replacement part and not an original....

Caroline
|
Users who thank JavaMissus for this post: psaragreen 

replied December 28th, 2009
flex
Go to a hot tub and put the top of your foot on the seat and stand. Do a slight quat to help get more bend. Do not make it hrt to bend.
|

replied November 3rd, 2010
I have had knee replacement and the exercise bike is the best. I ride it for 10 min every day +my other exercised.The more the better.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
Stiffness after knee replacement
Will walking help with the stiffness? I had double knee replacements January 10. Going to therepy 3x wkly had left to 120 degrees once and right to 115 but now the best I can get is 105 and 100. i also do my exercises at home and ice.
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
sammom,

Walking is a excellent exercise for knee replacement patients. It provides strengthening and cardiovascular fitness. It will maintain enough range of motion for ambulation (63 degrees of knee flexion).

Stiffness is usually a combination of swelling within the joint (an effusion) and edema within the soft tissues. (This is assuming the components of the total knee prostheses were put in correctly.) The effusions usually settle down after about four weeks. If you are continuing to have effusions, your surgeon needs to check this out, as it can be a sign of an indolent infection, continued inflammation, or bleeding into the joint.

The soft tissue edema can be a problem for quite awhile. This usually goes from soft swelling to a firm (or woody) edema. And as you already know, you have to move to maintain range of motion. It is not uncommon to lose a little range of motion a few weeks after surgery, however.

At your present stage, you may get better results from moist heat, rather than ice. The ice is good for discomfort at he end of the day. However, now, if you warm the tissues up (in a swimming pool or hot tub) then do your range of motion exercises, you will probably get more motion. Pool therapy is especially good, because you can do range of motion, strengthening, and cardio exercises, all in the pool, without putting undue stress of the joints.

Speak with your physical therapist about your concerns. He/she may have some special exercises to do for your case (especially since you had both of your knees done at the same time). Of course, always follow your surgeon's instructions, because only he/she knows how well the components are fixed within the bone and how good the soft tissues are.

Work hard and good luck.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Thank you. I though the heat was bad for my knees, but now it makes sense that it would help loosen them a little.
|

replied January 18th, 2013
Bengay
I had total knee replacement. Can I rub bengay on the area around the surgery. I gives me fits at nite when I sleep.
|

replied July 28th, 2013
total knee replacement
I have been putting bengay on my knee and I had total knee knee replacement done 6 weeks ago. I am 43 and with my physical therapy I am getting 112 degree bend and I am driving and doing the bike both ways. It is my right knee. I do ham string stretches.
|

replied July 28th, 2013
I have been putting bengay on my knee and I had total knee knee replacement done 6 weeks ago. I am 43 and with my physical therapy I am getting 112 degree bend and I am driving and doing the bike both ways. It is my right knee. I do ham string stretches.
|

replied July 28th, 2013
|

replied August 20th, 2013
I had knee replacement in Nov 2013 and during PT while bending it the therapist broke a part. Had it fixed in Feb 2013 its at 65 degrees only and this is 9 months later. I regret having it done
|