Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Stiffening & eyes out of reality

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
I watch this 2 year old girl at church during the service times. I'm not her parent and I only see her on Fridays and Sundays. So only 2 times per week. I saw this state happened to her about 3 times. First time I saw this happen was around the Christmas time. It seems like it is becoming more frequent.

Whenever someone makes her do something that she does not want to do, such as if someone asks her to sing, she stiffens up as if she froze and her eyes are out of reality. She just stops moving, her head tilted to one side just simply frozen. Her eyes are not focusing on anything. Her breathing is calm, almost like as if she is sleeping. When I look at her, she seems like as if she created her own world in her mind to escape the reality.

It specifically happens when she does not want to do something. In order to get her out of that state, I have to tell her, "I'm sorry I made you do something that you did not want to do. You do not have to do it, and we can do something else." Then she understands me and wakes up from her state. So she does understand what is going around her?

What scares me is that her parents do not seem to know what is going on, and I'm afraid something is going on. I have told the parents about what is going on, but they do not take it seriously because they did not actually SEE what is going on. As you can see, I'm posting it up here,I'm worried about her. So please if anyone knows about what is going on with her and if anything is wrong with her neurologically, post anything up here. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
It does sound a little strange, but it's probably just something that she is doing because she doesn't want to do something that she is asked to do, then it's her version of a temper tantrum. Since it worked for her once, she tried it again, and again since it kept working. The only way to get her out of something like that would be to make her do what she doesn't want to.

My only concern is that it is coincidental with the fact that she could having seizures, which is what it reminds me of... in which case she should have medical attention right away. If you can, see if you can check her pupils and whether they are dilated and not responding to light or movement or if one is more dilated than the other...

I hope this helps.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Thank you so much. At least I have something that I have to tell her parents that it might be a "serious" matter. Thank you again, for taking your time to answer questions.
|