Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

sternum pain after bypass

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
sternum pain tightness after two years non stop ache after bypass surgery when will the aching stop
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Doctor
How long after the by-pass surgery you had no chest pain ? Have you done any medical heart investigations after the by-pass surgery?
Do you suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol... and do you smoke?
|

replied May 21st, 2008
sternium pain
quit smoking after heart attack 11/1/05 do not have high col, do not have diabetes blood pressure high norm stress test ok did have stint put un upper left 9/07 but aches were all ready there the more tired i get the more it hurts and my scar swells up and turn dark red
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2008
Doctor
If the chest pain and tiredness continue to persists you may need to to do coronarography to investigate if those stint and by-pass are blocked again or there are new blockages on some other heart arteries. If coronarography is OK like the stress-test then the pain probably doesn't origin from the heart.
You can consult some cardiologist about your condition.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
they just ran tests heart is up to par but i think i may have confused you its the chest wall and tissue the center of the sternum outward aprox 3 inches the bone for lack of better word is raised by the incision 3/4 to1/2 inch all the way down to the end of the incision it aches burns ect is this normal i take tylonal for it
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Doctor
Is there any swelling, redness, discharge or pain coming from the scar?
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
swelling and the scar tightens turns red the more tired i get
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Doctor
You might have some local infection on the skin above the sternum. You can consult your primary health provider to confirm or rule out this assumption.
|

replied June 27th, 2008
Fluid in lungs after bypass
My dad had a bypass in late Dec'2007.Now he has fluid accumulated in lungs i.e.200 ml.Also,his RBC count is 26 percent.Please suggest some remedy
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Sternal wires snapped 6mths after bypass surgery
My Husband had a bypass in July 2009 and now 2 of the wires have broken and his sternum moves and causes pain.
I am a nursing sister and I think the risk of infection is high should he be operated on to re-wire.
Please could I have your opinion.
Many Thanks
Sharon
|

replied January 18th, 2010
hello Shaelliott just to let you know i had bypass in feb 2009 i also had chest wires break inside me this caused all sorts of problems for a few months until i convinced the doc to help me out they re opened me and removed all wires, all aches and pains i was getting before halted straight away and the infection i had cleared soon after. i wasnt re wired tho im only 37 and my ribs healed very well to the point that the hospital didnt need to re wire so i hope all goes well for you and your husband. my opinion is the wires can cause problems being broken inside us so yes get them sorted before he has any more dramas because i know he has had a big enough one of those already in his life.Smile best wishes. steve.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Pain in sternum after bypass
I've also had chest pain since my two surgeries in 6/09. They've done 14 stents for collapsed bypass areas. I was wired. Although Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida performed the surgery they wanted nothing to do with me once I started having pain and problems within 5 days of the initial surgery.
|