Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

STD? Pimples? Something else?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
User Profile
STD? Pimples? Something else?

I have pimple-like small red bumps that occur above the penis in the pubic hair area, just below my waistline. I have had sex, but it has been protected sex, so I'm not sure if this could be an STD or not. The first bump I got about 6 months ago, I thought was a pimple so I popped it and yellow puss came out but the thing is, a red bump has been continuously coming back in the same spot. Sometimes it is barely noticeable and sometimes it is blatant and has a yellowish head on the top. The other blemishes I get are in random places in my pubic hair, but never on my penis or scrotum. The bumps aren't itchy, but are red, noticeable and worrisome and have obviously been a problem for me. I do trim my pubic hair which sometimes makes them go away for a bit, but I am always keeping the area clean. They aren't razor bumps though because I haven't used a razor in the area in over a year because of these. What could these be, and how can I treat them? Please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2011
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A25441
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the painful pimples on the penis. From the description of these pimples and the habit of trimming your hair, it seems like folliculitis. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus.

Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics(topical and oral)/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.