Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

STD infection from toilet ?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
I live in a dorm where I share 2 toilets with about 10 other girls. Yesterday I went to urinate and wiped myself with a ball of toilet paper; I then used that ball to wipe a few stray drops of my urine from the seat. Before I dropped it into the toilet I noticed that I must have started my period, as there was a little blood on the wiper. Without thinking, I dabbed at myself again using the same ball of toilet paper. Shocked

Now I’m really afraid that I might have given myself an STD or other infection via the damp paper that touched both the toilet seat and the area around my vagina. So, what are the chances that I picked up an infection this way? I am so scared.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper anxiousgirl
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Doctor
There are small chances to get some infection because with the same toilet paper you wipe the toilet seat first and then your outer genitals. Chances for transmission are very small because most of the infective agents that causes STD live very shortly outside the body (on the toilet seat for example). Chance to get some STD would be bigger if you used the toilet right after someone before you had used the same toilet.
As I said chances for getting some STD are very small so you shouldn't be so scared.
|
Users who thank Dr. Nikola for this post: anxiousgirl 

replied March 4th, 2012
toilet infections
thanks Doctor . what if we rented to a place where the land-lord doesn't even bother to clean the toilet .as per health what precautionary measure to be taken as tenants . the toilets are very unclean . i think we are not safe at all . can you please organize health inspectors to asses this place from Kgaogelo Mmola @ Acornhoek
|

replied July 21st, 2008
any ideas about which infective agents might have survived long enough to infect me? the one i worry about most is herpes, because once you've got it you can't get rid of it ...

also, how long would it be before symptoms showed up / before the STD would be detectable if i went to get tested?
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2008
Doctor
Herpes virus can't survive very long outside the body so chances for getting herpes in your case are very small almost none. The same stands for HIV and Hepatitis-B. HPV is more resistant outside the body.
Various STDs require different periods to show symptoms or to be detected with tests. It also depends from the immune system ability to struggle the infection. Which STD you are interested about?
|

replied July 23rd, 2008
i'm mainly interested in herpes, and how long it would take for it to show up in a blood test. but thanks to you i am a lot less worried about having caught anything Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2008
Doctor
In case of genital herpes symptoms usually show up 4-7 days after viral exposure. In many people symptoms may not show up at all even if they are infected. Body needs 3-4 weeks to create antibodies against the virus that can be detected by the blood tests.
|

replied July 24th, 2008
one more question if you have the time ...
If there's a real chance I got something from this, I'd want to warn my boyfriend before we have sex again. So, is the chance big enough that I should tell him what happened, and explain that I might have an infection?
thanks!
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2008
Doctor
The chances for you getting HSV-infection because of this incident in the toilet are so small that it is not worth to tell your boyfriend about it. You can only create a unnecessary panic.
But if you want to be 100% sure and if your boyfriend is a very reasonable gay you can tell him and make him to use condom in the next few weeks. Then you can perform a blood test to be sure if you were infected or not.
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Thank you so, so much--that is really a relief to hear. Smile
|
Users who thank anxiousgirl for this post: Dr. Nikola 

replied May 6th, 2010
Hello Dr. Nikola, I am a boy of 21 and my girl friend is just 20, I think my girl friend one, i figured every time we made love, her vaginal smells somehow but it''s hard for me to tell her such things because it really makes her feel bad probably ended up crying in most cases. Just bought her Nystatin insertion drug and the tablet which she takes in the morning and night. She doesn''t welcome condom and we''re very faithful to each other, lost her virginity to me though. I hate the smelling thing and we need to get rid of it, what do we do please ?
|

replied May 18th, 2010
am see a sight of discharge on my private part.do i have infection
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Experienced User
FREE CONDOMS FOR EVERYBODY
|

replied August 8th, 2010
i have a kind of wierd painfuly red rash in between my pant line n very close to my virgina it looks a lot like a burn wat could be the cause n cure for it
|

replied February 21st, 2013
i feel quick itch inside,close to the tip of ma penis and i also have itchy rashes al over ma scrutum..pls wat cn i do?
|

replied February 21st, 2013
i feel quick itch inside,close to the tip of ma penis and i also have itchy rashes al over ma scrutum..pls wat cn i do?
|

replied September 2nd, 2013
Treatment
This is to all who have a problem!!!!! Find ur nearest ER n have them give u a look. They will automatically treat u for everything!!!! I know from experience!!!
|

replied September 2nd, 2013
This is to all who have a problem!!!!! Find ur nearest ER n have them give u a look. They will automatically treat u for everything!!!! I know from experience!!!
|

replied September 30th, 2013
response
Good day doctor.m period for this month was black in colour and my ovulation has not come for this month..what do I do doctor
|