Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Starving themselves! Is this a part of Autism?

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
My son is not diagnosed autistic but we will find out the results of the testing in April. Does any one else's child refuse to eat anything for a day and then wake up so hungry they gulp down milk (soy milk in our case) then vomit immediately because they are their stomach is so empty? We are baffled by why our 4 year old does this! Please if someone has info on something that would cause this PLEASE HELP????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 30th, 2012
My 26 month old son has had a range of symptoms that could be austism, waiting for referral at the min, and one of the things he does is starve himself, there is very little he will eat and depending on his mood or which meal it is there are many times when he wont eat anything. I dont know much about austism trying ti find out about it myself without scaring myself which is difficult, having read your post I wonder if its part of it maybe? x
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Thank you for responding! He has always had a really rough time with food Sad We have him on a nutritional drink like pedi-sure but we cut out gluten, lactose, and casein! It's called Bright Beginnings we found it @ CVS & Kroger's) Smile It has helped him greatly! Don't know if you do any of that, but it's worth a try. My son started eating a lot better because we think he was getting vitamins and that somehow made him hungry! We read it in some autism book Wink
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
I live in the UK and dont get those brands but will look for something similar, we have had the referral sent through now, just waiting for the appointment, I will give it a try though, thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to get some books on it and read up some more.
At a bit of a lose as to know what to do at the minute without an actualy diagnosis, feels like we're in limbo, dont know what to do for him for the best. Fingers crossed its sorted one way or the other soon. xx
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
I live in the UK and dont get those brands but will look for something similar, we have had the referral sent through now, just waiting for the appointment, I will give it a try though, thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to get some books on it and read up some more.
At a bit of a lose as to know what to do at the minute without an actualy diagnosis, feels like we're in limbo, dont know what to do for him for the best. Fingers crossed its sorted one way or the other soon. xx
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 8th, 2012
My son is treated with nothing but respect and love by everyone, he was a cheeky little chap who could elicit a smile from everyine he met until his development started regressing.

No one that he comes into contact with treats him any different since he has had these changed and I resent the implication otherwise.

I agree Music is a brilliant therapy which is why I have always played music in various genre's every day for my 3 children.

And last but not least how dare you imply I treat my child with anything less than love and respect. My children, each and every one of them are my life and I would not stand for anyone treating them in this manner.

Dont judge other people until you have walked a mile in their footsteps, I think this is a saying you could learn a lot from!
|