I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Since July 2011, I started getting 'breathlessness' or 'short of breath' whilst sitting down. Nothing serious at first, until I started to take more notice of what I was doing. I found that I was struggling to get a really deep, satisfying intake of breath whilst sitting and this started making me panic. I'd then get a 'thick head' and blocked sinuses as I tried to get a full lung of breath. I started to panic more as my Grandad was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this year.
Visited a doctor/GP at the walk in centre who took blood pressure, oxygen saturation via pulse on fingertip, symptoms and listened to my chest and back whilst sitting and standing. He told me I had 'normal' blood pressure, ox sat of 99% and the sound of 'fluid on lungs' so was diagnosed as having fluid on my lungs and concluded that it was virus and should go within 2 weeks, and if not to go back for antibiotics. Four weeks later I still had it.
I then visited my own doctor who told me my lungs were clear, blood pressure and blood ox sats were fine. She also felt around my tummy as I complained of being bloated when she asked if I had tummy problems with chest problems. My stomach was - and still is - tender under my breast-bone/sternum. I was prescribed Lansaprazole and tested for H.Pylori. Tests came back negative and I started feeling a 'bit better'. My prescription ran out and I thought that was the end of it, however, at the end of September the symptoms returned with more on top of that.
I haven't been back to the doctors yet, as I'm starting to wonder whether others are right and 'its all in my head'. I have other symptoms but have a reasonable explanation for some of them.
1. Feel the need to cough, but nothing there. On occasion when I do cough, its non-productive and other occasions there is a clear mucus like fluid, which I'm assuming is from my throat as I have cold and a constant runny nose at the moment.
2. Feel like my throat is 'grazed' like when you've had a bad winter cough
3. Still bloated
4. Aching muscles - legs are really aching, as if I've ran a marathon. Shoulders constantly ache (my explanation for this is that I push my son around in his buggy when I'm out and about, obviously lift him and carry him when needs be, I also work 8.5 hours a day at a computer and work on my computer at home when not at my workplace, I also carry out household tasks etc and I broke my shoulder around 17 years ago and I still suffer with pain, tension, tightness in the shoulder blade esp in the cold weather) Don't know whether this is the same for whats happening to me now or if its something new.
5. Constant aching back - I've had a bad back for years, but this is a different pain. This runs from my lower back, around my hips and one side of my groin, then down my right leg. Upper back pain, feels like someone stabbing a sharp knife into the centre of my shoulder blades, but only happens now and again and is especially worse when the 'fist in my lung' feeling is there. My groin is constantly aching right through to my bum cheek while I'm sitting down.
7. Feeling shattered, especially first thing in the morning when I've first got up - ie got up with my son at 8.30am this morning, took him downstairs and started dozing on sofa. I'm not sleeping too well as my bed is uncomfortable and I'm constantly thinking 'is this day gonna be my last with my son?' I've also always been a night owl so find it difficult to drop off unless I'm really tired.
Sorry, I know it goes on a bit, but I'd appreciate any help and am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I started reading all sorts of symptoms up on the internet when this first started happening and was terrifying myself with different things, making me believe I actually was dying (and this comes from the NHS website also). My doctor also advised me not to read things online yet I'm back again.
I'm NOT depressed. I'm very happy with my life - except this chronic pain. I've got NO changes in toilet habits, no change of diet (except recently started taking 1 multivitamin with Iron tablet a day), NO change in lifestyle. My doctor says my lungs are very clear, no sign of blockage and I'm obviously receiving enough oxygen to have a reading of 99%. I'm so run down and finding I have no energy some days but force myself to get on with life especially with a toddler to take care of. I feel like no-one is listening to me and if I keep going back and forth to my doctor they're gonna think I'm some sort of hypochondriac. I've found the back ache, shoulder ache and tummy aches are eased via heat, ie hot baths, hot water bottles/heat packs, heat wraps and hot stone massage - which makes me think that its definately muscular. Painkillers don't take the edge off for very long.
Please, someone help me and advise whether I am actually going crazy or if I've genuinely got something wrong with me. Anything will be appreciated and if I gather enough info I can go back to my doctor armed with information. I'm starting to think that it is all stress/anxiety related as I feel great when I'm relaxed at home with my family and had a 'lazy' day rather than running about doing housework etc. I'd love to feel normal again and not having to worry when my next dose of painkillers is going to be.