Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

starting and stopping a lot, stabbing pains...

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
So I'm 21 years old, and I have been having weird problems with my period. My periods have never been regular, but for the past couple months it has been starting and stopping a lot. Sometimes I'll go to sleep not on my period, and wake up covered in blood, then I'll go put a tampon in and when I go to change it it's empty. This process repeats itself randomly until I actually start my period for real. I just started for real last week and got off, but two days after being off it started to do his again. I also used to get severe cramps, but I haven't had any bad cramps, just occasional stabbing pains where my uterus is. I don't know what's up with this, and can't really find any info anywhere about what it might be so any input would be appreciated, thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A33713
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Irregular periods which you have mentioned seem to be due to Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.The cause of such disorder can be psychological stress, weight (obesity, anorexia, or a rapid change), exercise, hormonal changes,underlying cause,drug effect etc. Such changes cause altered gonadotrophin secretion hence changed secretion of FSH and LH and thus changes in estrogen and progesterone levels.
Such changes result in
1. menorrhagia (abnormally heavy and prolonged menstrual period at regular intervals) or
2. metrorrhagia (uterine bleeding at irregular intervals, particularly between the expected menstrual periods).

Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by hCG), and androgen profile can be done.

The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.

You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.