Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Staph infection causing folliculitis

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
Hello all

I am having a problem that maybe someone here can help me out with a couple of month's back i shaved my hair completely bald using a norelco shaver this was done during winter season around February after 3 weeks of letting my hair grow back i noticed a pimple like form behind my neck so mind you i have not had acne since a teenager i went ahead and popped it like a zit next morning i woke up with a cyst like acne right where i popped the pimple at i went ahead and tried to squeeze the lesion after not getting nothing out of the lesion i let it be thinking it would go away i was wrong next morning i woke up with 5 more pimples on my neck and a couple on my back and upper shoulders and arm i was asking my self why is this happening.

so i went ahead and bought some acne medicine to try and treat the pimple like lesions accordingly for 2 months boy was i wrong. thing where just getting worst i felt like bugs where crawling inside of my skin around my eyes hair intense itching and the pimples grew all over my top arms shoulder chest and back and also buttocks.

I said enough was enough and went ahead and made a appointment with a derm mind you i have no insurance and i had to basically pay out of pocket.

when i got to the derm he stated the acne like lesions where in fact folliculitis
he did not do any kind of culture test the derm did not explain what kind of folliculitis it was all he did was prescribe me some doxycicline 150mg once a day for 12 days this made no difference after the medication was over the folliculitis cleared and came back im not sure if he even treated me correctly with out taking a KOH from what he stated to the looks of him it is bacteria not fungal. Can a dermatologist truly by looking at your skin condition really know that it is in fact bacteria and not fungal?

I went ahead and got blood tested for hiv and also blood work done for liver thyroid and so on everything came out perfectly fine so i asked the dr that treated me for the blood work what was these lesions and what do you think it is i asked him about staph from looking at it he said it doesn't look like staph so he prescribes me keflex (cephalexin) 250mg taken every 6 hours this was a week and half ago i still have not taken the medication because i just recently finished the doxyciline and i am scared about getting a grsm negative infection.

I am here looking for some answers hopefully someone can be so kind and spread some knowledge on how i can go about this problem with out having any coverage

I did apply for charity care in a university hospital close by to see a derm but the appointment will not be for another 3 months and i cant wait that long what should be the next step?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2010
i just got my results in from my doctor

maybe a professional can please shed some light

the results came back as (rare quantity of staphylococcus capitis) (coagulase negative) i was prescribed clindamycin 300mg to be taken 4 times a day

can anyone define what this means does this mean i do have mrsa or a different strain of staph?

will this medication kill the bacteria growing?

I live with my mother and a brother should they get tested also for staph?

what would be the right requirements to go about my dr said it was nothing to worry about but i am still worried.
|

replied March 7th, 2013
Get a skin biopsy. Don't take no for an answer. Doctors are not god. I don't have good doctors in my city. I went to the University of Pennsylvania and got an emergency dermatology appointment because the first doctor tried to tell me I had scabies. I went the hell off on her ass! I had the doc at HUP do a skin biopsy. I was having symptoms of chicken pox and shingles. They came back negative from a blood test. The skin biopsy results were given to me by the doctor yesterday morning and she said it was folliculitis! Thanks to the lab work, I finally got the answer i was looking for. Thanks to that other doctor, my relationship is now on rocky ground because she knew oh sooo well from "looking" at my skin that she just knew for sure I had scabies! The other docs would not right on my discharge papers anything for sure until they knew for certain. Get the blood test! You won't be sorry!
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
I am back and the clindamycin pills did not work at all i am still getting break outs on my neck arms back and chest please help me what should be my next step?
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Go to an infectious disease doctor.
You will likely be prescribed nasal bactroban, as staph tends to congregate in the nose.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, wash your entire body below your neck with hibiclens daily. Do this for at least two weeks, then see the results and do less often if u see improvement. DERMATOLOGISTS are clueless when it comes to treating this, so ignore all of them (most have never even heard of hibiclens, or applying it to control staph infections). Do not shave unless you absolutely must.

I would like to know how this works for you?
|

replied March 7th, 2013
I'm glad I have me a good dermatologist. She faxed over hibiclens yesterday along with trimacinolone cream because the ointments make the itching worse for me and another drug. She's great! I will start the hibiclens and the creams tomorrow.
|

replied September 1st, 2010
I have not been here for a month or so I thought no one would ever answer my question,

I had went to see a infectious disease doctor and she thought I had scabies she prescribed me stromectol and permethrin this was in the early month of july!!!

When finishing my 1 month course of sromectol which i had to take 12 mg every 2 weeks and applied the permethrin I still had the same symptoms reoccur.

So i had a prescription laying around that was a 28 day course of bactrim ds i just finished the course today the inflammation went down 85% i also washed with hibiclens but for one week and applied bactroban 2x for 7days to my nose that was applied while the first week course of bactrim ds

a-lot of the lesions have subsided especially the cystic ones that where growing on my chest and back but not fully gone I still have some live staph growing around my lower back hairline (inflamed follicles folliculitis) It seems raw to touch and very sensitive not like a regular pimple.

My whole body still seems very sensitive as thought if even a brush of my own shirt i would want to scratch my body like a allergic reaction sort of feeling and it is not because of the bactrim I always felt the allergic reacting feeling ever since February when the out grow of my problem was at its worst.

So i had went to see my infectious disease doctor when i was sitting at the table half naked she was starring up and down looking at my lesions and she noted that it seems I didn't have scabies. During our conversation I told her I was taking the course of bactrim she said that was fine she said finish the course and she wrote me a script to see a dermatologist now why would she send me to a derm knowing I have a infectious disease case?

If i may ask when they took the culture from my pus on one of my sores what is exactly staph capitis?
|

ddd
|

I had a reply, but it was deleted because I forgot my password for this.

Staph follicutlitis is extremely common on the lower neck, upper back area. How old are you and have you ever had similar looking skin infections? Ever had pustules inside your nose or around the nose or around your mouth?

A sensitivity test should have been performed on the culuture to see what antibiotic could kill the bacteria. However, staph infections occasionally recur, even after antibiotic treatment, so they may not be a long-term treatment. It is worth trying an antibiotic therapy, coupled with bactroban in the nose (nasal bactroban, pretty expensive though, but regular bactroban witha a q-tip is fine too), as well as regular hibiclens washes.

It depends how severe is your infection and how much does it bother you. A longer term treatment option is alternative medication, which has a # of treatment options for staph infections, including folliculitis.
|