Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Stage one kidney disease and need feedback thank you.

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hello my name is Lisa and I am a 29 year old female.

I saw a nephrologist I like and he diagnosed me with Kidney disease stage 1. The problem is I have hydrenuphrosis and they want to put either a stent in or a different procedure where they put a tube into the kidney. I don't know which one is worse for pain?

I have had stents before for the Urologist to go up and biopsy to make sure I never had ureter cancer luckily benign.But with each stent I am in unbearable amounts of pain and the pain killers only do so much. I am up at nights crying and screaming my body just won't adjust to the stent.

I told my urologist and nephrologist this but they think it's the only way to save my kidney for now. I don't want to go into worse stages of Kidney disease.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The drainage tube of urine starts from each kidney. Its proximal end is like a receptacle called pelvis, which is ‎usually inside the kidney and tapers to form the ureter - a long tube which takes urine to the bladder.‎

Any obstruction due to scarring of the renal pelvis or the ureter, can result in obstruction of urine and this is called ‎as hydronephrosis. ‎If this pressure on the kidneys persists, then it results in progressive and irreversible loss of the renal function.

What your doctors are suggesting are for placement of stents within the urinary tract, which will remove the obstruction within the urinary tract and preventing further damage and loss of renal function. Hence you should take their advice and continue with the proposed form of treatment.

Once the obstructive lesion within the ureter is cleared, and the free flow of urine is established, there should be no reason for the pain to persist. Hence you should not worry about the current pain which is mostly transient and would last only for a few days after the procedure, but the long term outcome will be very good for you.

I hope this helps.

|

replied March 25th, 2012
Thank you so much for your response. I will listen to them since I want to save my kidney. Thank you again for your feedback.

Lisa
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2012
My Mom just passed away from Stage 4 Kidney Failure, please do whatever your doctor tells you is best. Also, it is a good idea to see a dietician to find out what foods are not safe for people that have Kidney problems. The best to you!
|

replied March 25th, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I will do what they tell me, in the short term it won't be fun but in the longterm it will be good. I see a dietician right now that specializes in the Kidney. Thank you again for your feedback. Smile Lisa
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.