Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Stage 5 Kidney Failure

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I got stage 5 Kidney failure, eGFR 6, my Creatinine is 8.7 when measured by mg% method or 770 when measured by ┬Ámol/L method. My Urea is 37.3 measured (mmol/L). Is there any possible way to get my Creatinine down and my Urea down and get my eGFR up? Is there any way to avoid dialysis or do any alternative instead of dialysis? any herbal remedies or something? I'm willing to do any thing possible except dialysis, please help me. Thanks,

Jensen.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What does your Dr. say. Are you seeing a nephrologist? I believe there are low protein kidney diets that are supposed to slow down damage to the kidneys. Maybe see if you can be refered to a kidney dietician. Good luck.
|

replied February 10th, 2009
Stage 5 Kidney Failure
Hi. I am practically in the same boat as you are and I struggled to look for other alternatives as well. But the most realistic option that could prove to be effective aside from going through a Dialysis Program is to undertake a kidney transplant. I don't want to cut your hope buddy, but so far there are no medical advancement associated with better alternatives for renal failure.
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
Chronic Kidney Failure, Dialysis or Transplant?
When I went to the doctor they said I had Chronic Kidney Failure and it was brought on when I was in the hospital with penumonia They said I went from a 5 to an 8 and that I should look into Dialysis or a transplant, can anyone tell me what the 5 to an 8 means and is it 1 to 100 or 1 to 50 or 1 to 10. I am very concerned. I guess from what I have read is that I am in stage 5.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
GFR provides an estimate of how well your kidneys are functioning. 8 means that you have 8% kidney function remaining. Typically if you drop below 15%, that means it is time for renal replacement therapy, such as dialysis. It is interesting that you went from 5% to 8% -- at this point, you need to be taking directions from your physicans. They know best what your options are.
|