Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Stabbing pain on right side of chest

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I'm having chest stabbing pain on the upper right side of my chest. I also have a slight shortness of breathe. The pain had started 3 days ago and had lasted since that time. But usually when I have this kind of pain, it would last up to 1 day. However, this pain is the longest and worse that I have ever experience. I also experience the stabbing pain while walking, jumping and moving around like bending forward. I would also feel the pain when I lie on the bed trying to sleep or sitting on a chair. Now my lower right side of the back also started to feel pain. I'm afraid as i don't know what is causing this pain.
And I also have a slight cough.
Everything is normal with me besides this pain that I am having right now. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? There are a few more details about me and everything else below. Thanks.

Male
18 years old
132 Pounds
5 feet 11 inches

I had diarrhea 4 days ago and the doctor gave me Charcoal 250mg tab. I have only taken 2 tablets as it already got better.
I have no other medications.
I do not drink or smoke.
I'm healthy and a little active in sports.

Please suggest what should I do. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2012
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

All stabbing chest pains should be investigated for angina and heart attack by 12 lead EKG and other tests. Chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning, moving in certain directions, stretching and deep breathing goes more in favor of costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone. The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. You can apply a local pain killer gel or cream and avoid pressing on the area. You can also use a heating pad.

It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way. Another possibility is a bad gastric reflux. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, carbonated drinks and spicy food. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.