Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

stabbing pain on my top left rib, painful to touch!

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I was awoken last night with a sharp stabbing pain on my top left rib. It is extremely painful to touch and also is worse when I take a deep breath in. The pain sometimes radiates through to my back and also under my left armpit. The pain is there constantly and gets worse as soon as I try and move. Do you have any idea what can be causing this pain?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A23828
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. From your age and symptoms two possibilities are important to be evaluated. The first possibility is of any cardiac disease which can present with left sided pain in chest or under the ribs and is commonly found in post menopausal females. You need to get an EKG and a stress ECHO done at the earliest to rule out this possibility.

Second possibility is of acid reflux or gastritis. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods .

Also take some antacid like Mylanta or PPI inhibitor like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor.These will help.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.