Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

stabbing pain in chest & palpitations.

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
Hi. I've been having stabbing pains in my chest randomly, usually when I stand up, sit down or bend over. It feels like someone is stabbing me in the heart. If I take a deep breath it seems to go away, but then I have a mild ache for a little while. I haven't experienced this the last couple of days but my heart has been racing which has been giving me anxiety. I don't know if there was anxiety about the chest pain which lead to my heart racing or if the anxiety came from my heart racing. Basically I'm just wondering what the chances are that this is a serious problem or if it's harmless. I'd like to also add that I am a smoker but I only smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day. I am 23 and have been smoking less than a year.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2012
Sharp pains in the left chest, sometimes related to position, relieved by taking a deep breath and followed with a mild chest aching may describe a benign syndrome that I have called a "precordial catch." I discuss this syndrome on page 44 of the book I wrote for the laity called "Chest Pain When and When Not to Worry." The book was printed in 2009 by Pelican Press of Gretna, LA.
Please understand that the heart is normally in the middle of the chest, not on the left side. Being aware of one's heart can certainly be a stress symptom. It doesn't sound like you have a serious problem.
The most serious problem you have is smoking cigarettes, and I strongly suggest that you stop.
Please keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.