Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Stabbing Pain Above Navel

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Since about 8 this morning, about every 30 seconds, I get these stabbing pains in my stomach, right above my navel. They last 1-2 seconds, and occur every 30. I'm not pregnant, premenstrual or anything like that. It's not hunger pains or acid reflux either. It feels like someone is stabbing me right in the belly button.

Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Doctor
Do you have constipation?
Have you ever had any digestive disorder like gastritis, acid reflux, indigestion, vomiting, being bloat etc.?
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Supporter
None of that....

I went to the doctor yesterday and they were thinking I had gallstones. They sent me to the hospital to have an emergency ultrasound, but it came back negative.

The doctor called me at home and let me know the results were negative but she said it was most likely viral due to my high white blood cell count.

I do also have a cold that I have been trying to get rid of for the last few weeks, couldn't that make my white blood cell count high too?

The pain is almost unbearable when it comes along... the pains last about 3-5 seconds but are not as frequent as the last 2 days.

So basically I spent over $300 in co-payments for nothing. Still in pain, still don't know what is causing the pain.-
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Doctor
How much the white blood cells were elevated?
Which fraction of white blood cells (granulocytes, lymphocytes or monocytes) was elevated?
Do you have diarrhea?
Do you have any gynecological problems?
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Supporter
No other problems. I have the Mirena IUD.

I believe she said the count was at 4%... she didn't say which type of white blood cell though.
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Doctor
Elevated white blood count suggests that you might have some infection but can't locate the source of infection. It could be intestines but upper respiratory tract (cold) is also possible.
It seems the your abdominal crams are calming.
I thing you should not fell sorrow for the money you spent if you get better.
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Pain above the navel
I am 17 weeks pregnant I woke up with a sharp pain above my navel feels worse when I push on it. What can this be?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2009
Supporter
Could be gas. When I was pregnant, I experienced these pains fairly often. Just be sure you aren't bleeding any red blood. If you are concerned, call your OB. They can help.
|