Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Stabbing pain above hernia scar

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
In June this year I had an inguinal Hernia Operation. not keyhole as the Hernia was very small.
I was ok for 3 months and last week I started getting a very painful stabbing pain directly above the scar. Also I am frequently getting alot of wind and a high tempreture, could this be a problem with my hernia operation.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2009
Hernia Answer A7397
Unfortunately, chronic pain is rather common after inguinal hernia surgery (3 to 5 percent of patients will experience chronic pain following hernia surgery). The initial treatment of pain following hernia surgery includes the avoidance of heavy lifting, ice or/and heat application, and the use of anti-inflammatory medications.

I doubt that passing a lot of gas is related to your hernia repair.

As for your high temperature, unless you have an active infection in the area of your hernia surgery, it is also unlikely that your hernia surgery is the cause of this problem.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.