Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

SSRI side effects ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am a 37 y/o male, with no family history of anything. About 6 or 7 years ago, I was working a high stress job and went through a bad breakup. A friend told me about Paxil and I soon went to the doctor to see about this "miracle drug". Keep in mind, I never had any anxiety, panic, depression just your average stress. Anyway, I started taking Prozac, then Paxil. Within a few months, I started having panic attacks. I had my meds switched to Zoloft and everything seemed fine. Upon meeting my fiance, I switched to Paxil again because of Zoloft's side effects. Anyway, soon after, I started having frequent panic attacks. I went off Paxil for awhile, and was fine for about 3 months. Then the attacks started again. Started Paxil again. Panic went away for a few months. Fast forward........ A few months ago, my attacks started again and I started Zoloft. Attacks went away, but now I just do not feel right. I take 25mg at night and in the morning I just feel horrible (stress, panicky etc.) I recently (about 2 weeks ago) upped my does to 37mg and felt bad ever since. Like I am overlyaware or hypersensitive to everything. My question is this.....I really do not think that I needed an antidepressant in the first place. My life WAS pretty great, I just thought a pill could make me feel better. If an individual does not need an antidepressant, and takes it anyway, would'nt that pretty much make them feel horrible? I have stopped taking the SSRI's in the past but have suffered really bad long term withdrawal effects, so I go back on to ease the suffering. A therapist said I had GAD, but who would not feel anxious coming off those meds?? I am convinced that all those different meds just scrambled my brain. Any advise or thoughts? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|