Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Spotting / light bleeding for 3 months

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi. I'm 21 years old and not sexually active. For the past three months, I've been having spotting and light bleeding everyday, and it still haven't stopped. It started 10 days after my last regular period ended on 13 Feb. At first, it was just dark brown spotting, but it gradually increased to light bleeding (red), and it hasn't stopped since.

This is not the first time that I've had this, but it had never lasted this long. I had this every other month, for instance, if on Jan I had my regular period with normal/heavy bleeding that lasted 7-8 days, then on Feb I'd have brown discharge or light bleeding for 2-3 weeks.

My cycle is usually predictable (20-30 days) even though my periods are irregular. Sometimes it skips a month but that doesn't happen quite often. I'm not on the pill or any medication.

What's causing this? Should I be worried? I'm considering to visit a doctor, but I'm scared. Could you tell me a little about what kind of examination the doctor would perform? Would it be really uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 11th, 2011
Hello. I'm 21 as well and I am experiencing the same symptoms your describing. I have had very regular periods since I was 13... no skipped months or breakthrough bleeding. I could predict the day of my "monthly friend's" arrival to a tee. Late may I began having light bleeding- brown/pink discharge and it has lasted over a month now. I don't know what could be causing this. I am very worried and I have not yet scheduled a visit with my doctor. My boyfriend is getting frustrated because he doesn't understand why I can't "fool" around with him. This has really taken a toll on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Spotting / light bleeding for 3 months
VioletRose wrote:
Hi. I'm 21 years old and not sexually active. For the past three months, I've been having spotting and light bleeding everyday, and it still haven't stopped. It started 10 days after my last regular period ended on 13 Feb. At first, it was just dark brown spotting, but it gradually increased to light bleeding (red), and it hasn't stopped since.

This is not the first time that I've had this, but it had never lasted this long. I had this every other month, for instance, if on Jan I had my regular period with normal/heavy bleeding that lasted 7-8 days, then on Feb I'd have brown discharge or light bleeding for 2-3 weeks.

My cycle is usually predictable (20-30 days) even though my periods are irregular. Sometimes it skips a month but that doesn't happen quite often. I'm not on the pill or any medication.

What's causing this? Should I be worried? I'm considering to visit a doctor, but I'm scared. Could you tell me a little about what kind of examination the doctor would perform? Would it be really uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I had similar and went to my doctor yesterday.

She inserted a small plastic instrument into my vaginal (to keep it open). My doctor then used two fingers to have a feel and make sure that my vagina and cervix felt okay and pressed on my tummy. She also took 4 swabs to check for infection.

When she pressed on the right side of my tummy, I had a little pain over my ovary but nothing on the left. So my doctor has sent a request to my local hospital for an ultrasound to check everything is okay.

The plastic instrument doesn't hurt as the doctor uses a water based lubricant on it to help insert it. She also had a light pointed at my vagina to have a look at my cervix.

To be honest it wasn't that bad, the only thing that was slightly uncomfortable was the swabs from my cervix.

It is best to go and see your doctor and get checked it might be nothing but it could be.

Good Luck
|

replied May 17th, 2013
I have a similar problem. I have been bleeding for 3 monthes straight. They use to just be spotting but this last month has got more heavy. I Started to get worried so I went to see my doctor. She then gave me an ultrasound. The ultrasound came back to say i have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) This can become very serious and lead to Ovarian Cancer. There is no treatment or cure for PCOS, but the longer you wait the more serious it becomes.
|

replied February 11th, 2014
Abnormal Bleeding
I have the same problem. I have been bleeding for around 4 months now, just thought it was my body adjusting to the pill. Just recently the blood has turned a brownish colour and is getting slightly heavier. Is this anything to worry about do you think ?
|