Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

spotting in a 5 years old girl

my 5 yrs old daughter had a spotting in her panty... is there any posibility that menstruation in early age will happen? what is the cause for this?waht is the situation of my daughter.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that your daughter might be having signs of precocious puberty.

Puberty usually begins between ages 10 and 14 for girls, and ages 12 and 16 for boys. Some African American girls may start puberty earlier, around age 9.

In girls, precocious puberty is when any of the following develop before age 8:

1. Armpit or pubic hair

2. Beginning to grow faster

3. Breasts

4. First period (menstruation)

5. Mature outer genitals.

Some important tests that can be done to diagnose the problem include - Blood hormone levels, CT scan of the brain or of the abdomen and MRI of the brain or of the abdomen.

You might consult a endocrinologist or a pediatrician for proper evaluation of your daughter.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.