Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Spots/Scabs in ears

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I've noticed these groups of spots/scab in both my ears. I have no idea what they are. I haven't consulted a doctor thinking it will go away by itself but it hasn't yet. Any ideas what they are? Thanks.
Image 1:
Image 2:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CheeryMomSC
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Spots/Scabs in ears
hi! i don't have the same spots on mine but like a big spot which was itchy and would peel when i put some anti-itch and would fade a bit but wouldn't go. because i couldn't get a dermatologist appointment - the waiting list was too long - i tried an eent. he now wants to do a biopsy on it in order to be sure it isn't a form of skin cancer. so my advice is go see a doctor! i thought mine was like a fungus or something (hopefully it is) and it was furthest from my mind that the doctor would want a biopsy on it!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
I went to a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he looked at it and said he doesn't know what it is and he doesn't think that it's anything to worry about. However the spots have become a bit larger. Also, it does not itch or hurt. Any answer would be much appreciated.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
The look like blackheads. The pores in your ears are larger and thus collect oil, dust, etc. Take a bobby pin, gently apply pressure and the core should pop out. This will leave a hole which you should keep clean and covered with antibiotic ointment so it doesn't fill again.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
They look like blackheads. The pores in your ears are larger and thus collect oil, dust, etc. Take a bobby pin, gently apply pressure and the core should pop out. This will leave a hole which you should keep clean and covered with antibiotic ointment so it doesn't fill again.
|

replied August 6th, 2012
jey1234 please pay attention to this post. CheeryMomSC is exactly right. My daughter gets these blackheads in her ears all the time. You can unclog most of these pores by firmly running your fingernail over them. Make sure your hands and nails are clean first.
|

replied August 6th, 2012
jey1234 please pay attention to this post. CheeryMomSC is exactly right. My daughter gets these blackheads in her ears all the time. You can unclog most of these pores by firmly running your fingernail over them. Make sure your hands and nails are clean first.
|

replied July 3rd, 2014
Blackheads
They're blackheads. It's totally normal to get pimples/blackheads in your ears. It is however, a little unnerving to hear that your doctor didn't know what they were.....and wanted to BIOPSY them!!! Although, I haven't had the best luck with doctors either.
|
Tags: ear, nose, nose throat
Quick Reply