Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Spot on nose

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
Hi all I started tanning at the salon since May about once every week to 10 days. Yesterday I noticed a red little spot on my nose that looked like a sweat bump since I work out a lot and have a sweaty nose. It was very small and I had to go close up to the mirror to really see it. I tried to pop the bump and I just scraped it off. Now it's left a little open sore and Im worried that it could be a form of skin cancer. The sore does tingle. The sore is very small and you have to go close to the mirror to see the it. Here are the photos, they are probably not clear enough as I took them on my phone. Let me know what you think. Im very worried. Thanks

http://mangini.fileave.com/IMG00058.jpg

http://mangini.fileave.com/IMG00059.jpg

http://mangini.fileave.com/IMG00060.jpg

http://mangini.fileave.com/IMG00064.jpg
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2008
Supporter
Hi
First of all, from the pictures, and what I could see, this does not look like a type of skin cancer. I am not a dermatologist nor do I claim to be a medical professional I have had experience in numerous types of skin cancer removal, including malignant melanoma. My advise...........as if you're gonna take it. Stay out of the tanning bed. I was young and stupid and I would not listen either. You look to be fair skinned, and this triples your chancces of sun damage and skin cancer. Put on sunblock everyday before you go outside. I sit outside everyday on nice days for about 10-15 minutes usually around 10:30, or after 3. I have achieved a nice healthy glow to match the upper torso from riding motorcycle. I do wish I'd listend when I was 30 years younger then I would not have the scars (battle wounds ) from suspecaious sun spots. I would keep your nose area clean and apply a triple biotic cream to it, f this does not clear up, see a dermatologist. Please.....take care fo yoru skin, You only have the one covering! Hope this has helped!
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Thanks for the response but I am not liking my chances. The spot on my nose fits all the descriptions ive read and seen on the net. It started as a red little tiny bump and since I scraped it off yesterday its showing no signs of drying up (though I do sweat on the nose a lot) and I feel it tingling pretty much all day. It just doesnt feel like a normal sore. Considering that this is where a lot of BCC and SCC forms I am terribly worried to the point where I cant think straight. Im on the verge of fainting.. I set an appointment to see my derm on Tuesday

The pictures I posted are kind of blurry but what made you think its not a form of cancer?

As for giving up the bed, I already gave it up before I noticed this spot on my nose. Its not something I do consistently. I just went this year to get a little color for my brother's wedding now It looks like I will suffer a life time of surgeries, scars, and maybe death. UGH.

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2008
Supporter
O stated that the spots I see from your pisctures do not look like any spot (cancer precancer spots I've ever had removed. The ones I see from your pictures all look like large pimples/acne or even small boils. Why on earth did you try to mash them pr scrape them off, instead of applying an ointment or blemish cream or antibiotic cream? Sometimes, mashing them makes them appear a lot worse than they are. Stop reading things on the internet, you will scare yourself to death..........I do this all the time and 9 out of 10 times, I've worried over nothing! Keep me posted about Tuesday! Hope all goes well for you!
|

replied July 26th, 2008
I moved my appointment up to tomorrow morning. I really cant wait any longer. Im beside myself. I just read that melanoma can develop on the nose too (John McCain had it) now im wondering if the spot on my nose can be that. Im freaking out.

I've scraped off or popped many of these little bumps/pimples on my nose before and they never took so long to heal and they never tingled/itched as much as this sore has. The tingling/itching has subsided today though.

Thanks for responding.
|

replied July 27th, 2008
I got back from my appointment. The doctor said the spot on my nose is nothing and gave me a prescription for the itching and burning. He then inspected all the moles on my body and spotted one underneath my right jaw bone that he said he wants to look at. He asked me how long I had it and I said I had no idea, I just discovered it myself this week searching my body for moles. Its not visible if you look at it in the mairror face to face. The doctor then told me to come in for an incision NEXT WEEK. That freaked me out and I asked the doctor is it cancer? He said he doesnt suspect its either of the 3 skin cancers and that I shouldnt be concerned. He thinks it may be an atypical mole. He said it doesnt look very bad but it doesnt look totally fine either so he wants to take a look at it and if he suspects anything he will just cut it out. I was still freaking so I asked him every which way if its cancer and he said he doesnt think so and he didnt seem alarmed at all. Then, I know I shouldnt have asked him this, but I did just to gauge his response and asked the doctor if he's 100% sure its not cancer and the doctor said he can never say that otherwise there would be no point of having a biopsy. The doctor knew i was real worried and then went on to say if he though it was serious he would do the incision today, but instead he has me coming back in next week for the incision.

Im trying to remain calm but as I did a search for atypical moles they appear to be a potential precursor for melanoma or people with an atypical mole have more of a chance of developing melanoma. Thus I am still worried about this and now im thinking to myself if it is melanoma how long has it been there, how about if its been there for months, or a year i could be in deep trouble.

sorry to ramble but im just not totally out of the woods yet. And yes, I do naturally worry about things a lot.

Thanks for reading.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
You are gonna be fine sweetie. I've had lots of atypical "suspicious places" removed. Just remind him you do not want a scar. Its virtually painless. YOu;ll get a numbing injection like the dentist. I really believe your doctor, if he thought it were that bad , he would have taken it thatday, not had you wait with worry another week or so. PLease feel free to PM me anytime. I know youare afraid and its a scarry place to be.....but I also know you can worry yourself to death, like you did before you found out the places on oyur nose was NOT cancer. I am so very proud of you for going ot a dermatologist and doing a total body scan. I go once a year now....and I use 70 sunblock. Use it a lot! Stay out of the tanning bed. You can still tan safely, just be sensibe. When I was first diagnosed wiht melanoma, it took me a couple of years before I would go out to our pool again! You are gonna be fine.......As I said before PM if you get the jitters, I'll be here for you!
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Thanks for the support. It means a lot to me. I will keep you posted.
|

replied August 25th, 2008
Thanks
Everything did come back fine. Thanks. I read your blog and your face looks fantastic. Here's hoping that you dont have to deal with that anymore.

And trust me I am not using the tanning beds anymore

Thanks for the response.
|