Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Spondylolisthesis L4-L5

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
After reading so many posts about sore backs, I figured i'd post my history... Maybe it will help someone else. It's no fun having back pain. I'm 37 years old now, and many doctors told me that this is all in my head Sad

At 16 I had a downhill skiing accident, stupid kid that felt immortal. It didn't cripple me at the time, still managed to get down to the bottom of the hill but the major pain was there. The important part is that it was a compression of my lower back from landing on my buttocks instead of my skis. For a few weeks after, I had some major muscle spasms in my lower back, sent home with aspirin and a dose of morphine. That set me down a road to misdiagnosis and more pain than I ever felt in my life. I failed grade 10 that year due to medical conditions.

Making a long story short, back spasms and muscle spasms in the right inner thigh over the course of that year became life for me. Many doctors, no results whatsoever. Morphine, demoral and a cocktail of other drugs kept some of the pain at bay.

Yep, then the sciatica hit (didn't know what it was at the time) but it felt like someone was holding my entire leg in a fire, nothing would comfort it at all. The pain major pain was centered in my hip but raced up and down my right leg. Doctors were thinking arthritis (or something viral) and ordered yet again, aspirin (and some dirivative) as required.

AS required? Yep, increasing doses brought me to 15,000 mg's of ASA a day before I said enough is enough, I stopped taking it. I passed out later that day.

Over the course of the next 10 years, seen many doctors around newfoundland and nova scotia, and there were a few that wanted to replace my hip and do exploratory surgeries. Not one realized sciatica, nor to look at the lower back. At that point, my back felt ok for the most part. It would get tired and sore occasionally with the odd mild spasm but I learned to stretch and deal with it. The sciatica was there almost daily.

When I went to college in Ontario, everything came to a head. I woke up with major sciatica (yep, after 10 years I still didn't know what it was). So my right leg is burning and my left leg is now useless, can't move it, can't walk, and i'm just screaming and scared. Get a doctor on the phone, crawl to a cab, got sent for x-rays and waited. Doctor calls me telling me to go to this chiropractor and he'll explain what's up, they have a diagnosis, they know what it is... Ok, but i've heard that before...

I basically crawled into this chiro's office and he shows me the x-ray of my spine. L4 vertabrae had slipped over L5 by 10 MilliMeters's, he measured it with a ruler, and explained there was pressure on my spinal cord and sciatic nerves. Asked me point blank if i'd ever had an accident and hurt my back.

Spondylolisthesis L4 - L5 with Spondylolysis was the diagnosis... I'm 26 at that time and sobbing like a baby in his office cause he's telling me within a couple of weeks of sessions, i'm going to feel right as rain... Thought he was going to kill me with all the popping and cracking he was doing, the pain was worse than ever for the first week. He sent his receptionist over to get me for the first week, I still can't believe that. I was able to walk in from then on...

He was right tho, I was walking better than I ever have, straight and tall. I still do, not hunched anymore afraid to take a step thinking it'll bring on a sciatic session or a muscle spasm... I'm a firm believer in chiropractic now, still see a chiropractor occasionally, but you have to find a good one. Yes, I know a bad chiro can hurt you or worse, i've heard the stories...

Be good to your back folks, exercise it, stretch it, get those muscles as strong as you can. Strong back muscles are only thing that's save me over the years...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 13th, 2008
Thanks much
|

replied October 13th, 2008
thanks for this post.
Would you mind posting in my thread and help me a bit?
|
Users who thank Disneygirl for this post: painfulbanter 

replied December 29th, 2008
thanks
What did you need help with?
|

replied December 30th, 2008
Don't need help painfulbanter, just posting my story
|