Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Split back molar

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have been sick this entire week. Last year, I got a root canal done on my two back molars and could not afford to get a crown on them. Well yesterday morning, I was sucking on a ricola throat drop and then decided to go ahead and bite it. As I did, split the right back molar and I felt it when it did it. Not by much, but I did. I assume the reason I did not feel the full pain is because they pulled the nerves out when they did the root canal. Well I went on to the dentist and I was told that they have to do a build up and then root canal, so I said OK. I gave them my insurance card and my insurance is only paying for $347 of the work and I have to pay out of pocket for the remainder $571 dollars. I don't have that type of money. So I read where some suggested I apply for Care Credit and another card to assist in the financing. Unfortunately I was denied for both. The dentist told me that I need to not chew anything hard or I will break what is left and have to have a bridge done. Can someone please give me some strong advice! I am so depressed right now!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 27th, 2010
If it is the last tooth in the back of your mouth, you could opt to just have it pulled and do nothing else. As long as it is far back, and you can't see it, it can just be removed. You can always get a bridge later. It happened to me, and I had the tooth pulled, and several years later got the bridge.
|

replied March 27th, 2010
But it is my chewing tooth and they said that if I get it pulled then my top teeth will eventually begin to come down and other things. It is the next to the last teeth because the very last one was pull years ago because of my wisdom tooth was growing towards it.
|

replied March 27th, 2010
So let me get this straight...It is NOW the last tooth in your mouth on that side because the original last one was pulled? If there is a tooth on either side of it, it will be ok for now until you decide to get a bridge. If it is the last tooth, it shouldn't interfere with chewing too much, once you get used to it. The top teeth might shift a bit but that takes time, you can get away with it for a while. Dentist need to make money, like the rest of us, and usually will recommend more extensive treatments before just pulling. It's up to you in the end. I had one pulled that was between two teeth, and went for years without a bridge, nothing happened, but then I got the bridge because you could see the hole between the two teeth and it bothered me cosmetically. Sometimes root canals don't even take, and they tooth has to be pulled anyway.
|