Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Spleen pain? Lower left abdomen

Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
User Profile
I just want an idea of what could be causing my lower back pain, combined with sore and weak body, headaches, loss of appetite and pain in my left abdomen where I can feel a pulsing mass.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A5381
YOU WROTE:" List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: pulmonary embolism, treated with bloodthinners for 6 weeks, subchorionic hematoma 11 weeks into my last pregnancy after which I had to give myself injections of lovenox everyday until a month before delivery, then heparin until delivery. AfTerwards I was on coumadin again but only for a couple weeks because I suffered internal bleeding in my right abdomen.
Current medical status: The problem I am having now is for the past few days I have had deep pain in my lower back, a gradual loss of appetite, headaches, a feeling of weakness, like I could sleep all day. Also in my left abdomen under my ribs I have a pulsing mass, I usually can feel my pulse there but now it feels a little larger and is very sore. I also have been irritable."

The location of the pain that you are experiencing (lower back, left abdomen, under ribs) indicates a possible problem with the spleen. The pain and the history of embolism might also suggest that you are experiencing some type of hematological disorder that has caused the problem with the spleen. Blood disorders range from thrombosis to inflammation of the spleen to other, unknown causes.

In order to diagnose the exact problem and receive adequate treatment, you should at least check with your primary health care physician and request the basic laboratory blood tests. Do not delay in scheduling the examination because possible damage of the spleen might increase to a degree where a permanent complication might occur.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.