Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Spirulina right dosage

Hi, I have got "Marcus Rohrer" Spirulina, each tablet containing 300 mg of it. Its instructions mentions to take 1 to 3 tablets daily. The web site mentions that for adults the dosage is 3 to 6 tablets.

In general, in Internet I have seen that the usual dosage of Spirulina is 1 to 5 grams daily. Based on this, I am thinking of taking 10 tablets x 300 mg every day. Is this safe? I am puzzled from the fact that the manufacturer recommends low dosage for normal use, although I have read on line that Spirulina to be effective (e.g. against viruses) two or more grams are better.

Another Spirulina product I am going to buy after finishing this, contains tablets of 750 mg Spirulina with recommended dosage 4 tablets daily, that is 3 grams of Spirulina daily.

Any feedback would be welcome.

John
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2008
I got an answer from the distribution company which says that 3 - 6 tablets of 300 mg each, is the recommended dosage for adults. BTW after some research I concluded that this specific brand is, if not the best, one of the best Spirulinas in the world (in my opinion, it is the best).

So I am going to rebuy it, in contrast with what I said in my original post.
|

replied September 29th, 2008
According to the University of Maryland Research Center a standard dosage of spirulina is 4 to 6 tablets (500 mg each) per day. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spiruli na-000327.htm But you should check with your doctor for the correct dosage for you, especially if you are under any medication.
|

replied October 20th, 2008
Spirulina
My understanding is that spirulina can be treated more as a "food" than a vitamin or other supplement. So as that link above says, "There are no known toxicities associated with spirulina..." and I think using common sense as you would with any "food" should be followed. I used to take Life Force spirulina for several years in power and tablet form and it was the first brand I used. Later I was able to find some Bulk spirulina that I took for a while, but I didn't feel it had the same effect for me. While there are a number of potential health benefits, the main thing I found was that while I was taking Life Force spirulina that I felt "really well". I would become aware from time to time that I just felt "good". I was taking a teaspoonful about twice a day, in carrot or orange juice. With the tablets I was always concerned that they tended to not break down and get digested like the powder..
|
Tags: another line
Quick Reply