Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Spinning prisms obstructing vision

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
This started a couple of years ago. I get a small, what can only be described as a spinning prism in the upper left of my vision. It moves around and can last up to 20 minutes. It creates a blind spot and I have to pull over if driving as it impairs my vision. This is then, more often than not, followed by a mother of a migraine. More worryingly than this. Maybe during one in three of these 'episodes' I get what can be best described as 'verbal dyslexia'. When I talk, half of the sentence is gobbledygook. The right letters come out but in the wrong order. I am aware of this happening but cannot say some words correctly no matter how hard I try. I get the verbal problems about 5 minutes into the visual impairment and seems to 'pass' at the same time. Just before the migraine kicks in.

I have read many instances about the vision issue being a symptom of migraines but not read anything about the verbal problem I get.

Anyone else?

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Typical migraine aura (symptoms that usually precede migraine headache), consist of visual and/or sensory and/or speech symptoms.
What you have experienced when being unable to express your self is known as aphasia, a problem understanding language (receptive) or speaking it (expressive).
It is a aura symptom that is not so common.
Different visual symptoms can be noticed during migraine aura.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?