Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Spinning lights

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Lately I have been noticing flashing lights when I go from a light room to a dark room or when I open my eyes in the dark. This may sound weird, but the best way to describe this is I see two big fan blades spinning around in my eyes. I have only noticed this when getting up in the morning though. Has anyone heard of this? Anyone with anything similiar happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper And95222
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Spinning rings of light that affect your vision
Wow... I can't believe no one has replied... I get spinning rings of lights that affect my vision. I used to only have this when I was pregnant but as of lately I have have been getting this symtom at least 3 times a week with NO chance of a baby on the way. the fan blades is a good way to discribe I guess... mine are more like rings that start out small in the center of my vision and then increase in size until 90 percent of my vision is blocked. It lasts for about 20 to 30 minutes and then it is gone. I once thought it was trigger when I was near flurecent lights but that has been proved unture as it has been happening in any kind of light. I have gone for blood tests as I have weight loss then gain (can fluctate 8-10 pounds a day)and nasuea all the time... (NOT PREGNANT LOL). Anyone else expriencing these rings of lights?
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Spinning lights in the eyes.
Yes, I too have had the spinning blades! I've been describing them as a slowly turning double helix! No idea what it is, mine lasted about 20 - 30 minutes as well. The first time was a few months ago when I was giving a reflexology treatment to someone, and the second time was earlier today about an hour after I had treated someone else. I felt a bit sick afterwards, but no headache. I too am amazed no one has said what it is! Will keep searching...
|

replied July 16th, 2009
spinning light in eye
i too have had haing the same thing most mornings like this one i get these spinning lights in right eye it gets pretty full on and i cant stand up, its like ripples in water after throwing a stone in thats spinning out of ontrol i have had quite a bit of eye surgery on that eye all the eye doctors havn't had any anwsers and put it down to some thing to do with surgery but doesn't sound like any of you have had that would love to know what it is
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2009
My spinning lights are very colorful. Bright blue, red and yellow and at the outer part of my right eye. It's very distracting but the strange thing is, I don't notice when it quits. I've been to several reputable ophthamologists and no one can give me an answer so I live with it.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Spinning lights
I too get the spinning lights!! Starting out small then getting larger, lasting about 20 to 30 minutes as well. What is this, can someone please post an answer!!
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Try googling "Scintillating scotoma".
I'm real sure that this is what we have going on.
I've even found pictures of it and it matches exactly.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Fan blade scotoma
Add me to the list of "mystery fan blade" sufferers. Actually, sufferer is the wrong word since these are painless. I can say that I have had these since I was a very young child. In my early 20's I also started to get the more "classic" aura associated with migrains (every 2 to 4 years). My mom suffers very infrequent eppileptic sezures so I'm pretty certain this is a related disorder. I don't let it worry me because I doubt it is a serious problem. Thank goodness for the Internet though. Without access to sites like this I'd probably be running to every eye Dr. and neurologist in town.
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Scintillating scotoma in one eye only
Hello,
I also have something that fits the pattern described in this forum. For I get it in the morning, only in the left eye and it lasts for most of the day. The effect is small and central and looks like fan blades spinning in front of a light source. I first noticed this a long time ago but only when suffering from a hangover so put it down to dehydration. I no longer drink but for the last 4 months or so I have had this every day. No pain and no discomfort but it was beginning to worry me until I read this forum.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
Scintillating Scotoma
Hey.
I am experiencing relatively the same symptoms of this "scotoma" I was spending the night drinking beers at a friends house, and I had about 10 beers or so to fall happily asleep in a warm bed. When I woke up, hungover of course, I looked around at the room which I was in, got up, turned on the light and made the bed, all seeming normal. I walked down the stairs into a sunlit room where my friends lay on a futon, and these blades appear. clear as day I saw 3 blades, spinning medium-slow in a clockwise direction, as the blades span, the light spun off the blades fading outward from the edges.

I do believe I have high blood pressure, due to cigarettes, energy drinks and candy bars.
I had bronchitis when I was younger, causing coughing fits that seemed to over-tense my neck muscles at the base of my skull
Also, I have been in a car accident at slow speed, giving me a cut on the top of my head.-- scans showed no injury

This (the blades) reminds me of what happens when you squint into the sun, or directly into a light, where you should be able to see particles and rays it seems like. The difference is though, that there was no light source other than the light, and was direct center of my vision, fading after about 5 minutes of me saying "OMG I see this spinning light thing" ...and people not knowing what I was talking about. Good thing for this forum eh?
|

replied November 10th, 2011
This is weird because I described the anomaly off the side of my left eye to my fianc as looking like a spinning fan blade. Mine is black and white. Very distracting. Glad I'm not the only one, thought I had a tumor or something.
|

replied August 13th, 2012
Spinning colors in eye's
I get the same thing.My neurologist I have for my M.S. say's that it is a type of migraine.My mother was also told the same from her neurologist.
|

replied August 29th, 2012
Seeing colored circles
I'm 63 years old and have been released from the hospital after having a bad thick-intestine virus. I have now started also to see the multi-colored circles that change their size. Then after a good 10-20 minutes they disappear and then normal sight is back again. This is a little irritating.
|

replied April 6th, 2013
I am 62 yrs. old and following my minor heart attack and stroke began to see colored pinwheels starting in the corner of my right eye. They then expand into my line of vision. They only last 1 to 3 minutes but block my vision. Sometimes I feel weak after the episode and one time had altered speech. Drs first thought it was a mini-stroke and then after lots of tests I was told this is not a mini-stroke. I have been to the neurologist and he recommended a nero-optomologist . Went there and got the same diagnosis, everything is normal! Don't know what this is but glad I found this board, I know now it's not just me.
|

replied January 4th, 2014
I had white spinning pinwheels in my vision. At first, I noticed it after coming in front outside or after being in a bright area to a dim area but then they started happening randomly. No pain or other symptoms. My eye doctor said they were eye migraines. He said they can lead to regular migraines.
|

replied May 13th, 2014
I am having my first experience with the spinning blades as I type and and while I am at work. At first I thought I had looked at my computer screens too long so I turned them off, turned the office overhead lights off and relaxed. Every time I open my eyes there is a hologram or matrix type of movement in my vision. Then the swirling came and now they have changed to bright colorful swirls. This is slowly fading away and now, after 15 minutes or so, things are slowly going back to normal again. I have never had a migraine or any issues with headaches. Not sure what just happened but I guess I'm not the only person experiencing this.
|

replied July 13th, 2014
Scintillating scotoma
This is so nice to hear that this is happening to other people too! I started getting these in grade 8 and I'm 18 now! they look like a black and white spinning fan blade in my peripheral vision and I haven't found anyone else who has this! They often result in headaches or nausea but I think they're mostly from dehydration but there are some other triggers (like looking at a computer screen or book for a long time), I used to get them every morning but I started drinking a full water bottle before I go to bed and it's seemed to help, but I'm really glad I'm not the only person experiencing this!
|
Quick Reply