Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Spinal Tap Headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I had a spinal tap done just 2 days ago. The first attempt was unsuccessful with doctors unable to retrieve any fluid. The second attempt had some complications but fluid was finally collected. I have been having severe headaches since then when I stand or sit up. I understand this is from the hole in the dura and the fluid leak. Would they be able to do the blood patch with the amount of attempts being that I would have several needle holes? Or is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2009
I went back to the E.R. in severe head pain. I convinced the doctor that it was not a normal headache it was more of a pain. So they did perform the blood patch, I laid down for an hour and i had so much relief it felt like a miracle. So this was the answer!
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi tigirtanna,

You were so wise in realizing someting wasn't right and persuing it until you got the problem fixed. I'm so proud of you. Continue to be your best advocate for your health.

Faded Rose
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Spinal tap headaches are the absolute worse, been there.

My doctor prescribed Zomig and it did the trick for me. Never had a blood patch.

Zig
|

User Profile
Thanx for that advice about the medicine that may help. It all started with a simple headache and it put me in the hospital. Doctors tried the spinal tap to see if I had Meningitis, other bloodwork tests to see if I had mono, the flu, or if I was anemic, CATscan, MRI. All my tests come back normal so its nothing serious but I still have no explanation for having headaches all day, everyday. All they can say for now is migraines. But the trick I found is not to take a headache pill, it is to take an antiinflammatory (Naproxen) everyday for now. Will this hurt my immune system any if I have to do this for the rest my life or at least until the headaches go away? My next step is to try and get glasses, although I think I can see pretty well. I had them in the past but never wore them, but I look at a computer screen everyday with my job and college so I should be used to it but maybe its affecting me now for some reason.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Be caution with naproxen or any NASID drug. Long term use can eat away at your stomach which can lead to ulcers or gastritis.

Zomig is the only migraine drug that works for me. Imitrex did not work as the drug needs to be taken at the beginning of an attack and I also have sinus issues at times and it is hard to determine at the beginning if it is sinus or migraine. However Zomig, regardless if it is at the beginning / middle....works!

Take care,

Zig
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Wow, did not know all this but thats why I was looking into it. Yes, Ammetrex does nothing for me I find. I have sinuses also, but this doesn't feel like sinus pressure headache. I can just wake up with it. The headache or whatever it is, is a pain on both sides even with my eyes and behind them.
|