Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Spinal deformities and deviations

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Just over one year ago I started a new job and got really painlful mid back pain which subsided after nearly two weeks. Another 6 months later I had the same systoms but probably more severe. Just over 6 months later the same has occured. Starts off as a dull ache that isn't that painful but then after a week or so turns into sore pain. Almost at the bottom of my shoulder blades. I have also noticed that over the last year that my neck is frequently stiff. I am fairly active and try to keep a proper posture, especially in the office at work.

When back pain subsides, i have no restrictions on my mobility or any pain at all.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2008
Back Pain Answer A4392
Pain and stiff muscles on the back could be due to a spine deformity or spine osteoarthritis (spondylosis). You may need an X-ray image of the spine to find out if there is a spine deviation (lordosis, kifosis or scoliosis) or spondylotic changes (osteophytes, spondylolistesis, diskopathy…). If an X-ray image assumes disk degenerative changes you may need an MRI to identify the precise disk disorder (bulging disk, herniated disk, disk protrusion, etc.).

You might like to consult an orthopedist about your case and about taking painkillers in the mean time.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.