Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

speech delay or autism ??

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
hello i am concerned about my clostest friends' two year old son, i spend alot of time around both her and her son, and i have noticed some symptoms of autism. my question to you is: how would we distinguish if he has autism or is just a late talker? he doesn't use very many words and i've noticed a decrease in his over all "daily speech". he tends to take all of his toys out and organize them or line them up, and his lack of communication is causing tantrums, screaming and crying, even though "time outs" are working he still doesn't seem to be able to tell us whats wrong, why hes upset, or seem to understand why he was put in time out, he often just repeats the behavior, which leads to more tantrums, and another time out later in the day. he doesn't seem to follow simple instructions or seem to be able to tell you what he wants, needs or how he feels. how can we tell if hes not understanding what is being asked of him or if he understands but just doesn't want to comply.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 31st, 2012
Autism or speech and language delay
how is his eye contact? a lack of eye contact is a often a sign of autism. How are overall play/social skills? These are usually very low in autism. does he need things done a certain way and not flexible to change? I would have your child talk to her pediatrician right away and tell him about her concerns. Start with a speech and language evaluation. To start working on the language skills (even if it is autism) her her check out milestones, red flags and free videos on how to work on speech and language skills.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2013
Did you take him to visit a doctor yet?
|