Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Specific hypoglycemia diet questions

Hello, My name is Ana and I've been diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I had a glucose test yesterday (I didn't had any symptoms when I drank it), and tons of other blood tests, which I'll have the results in 12 days and meet my endo again a week after.
When I met my endo, without any blood tests (he was suppose to receive my previous blood tests resuls by fax by my fam doctor but didn't in time) he suggested that I have hypoglycemia and to stop eating potatoes, pasta, sugar, rice and to consult a dietitian specialized in hypo.
I have my first appointment with her in 2 months.
But while I wait, I'm a bit at lost on what I can and can't eat.
Also, I love to cook!
I've been eating quinoa, salads, 12 grains bread, and veggies. Nothing much. I eat the same thing everyday, which is starting to get very boring.
Thankfully, I love to eat healthy and I don't really have a sweet tooth, so it's not hard to cut on cakes since I don't love cake, but I do indulge myself in chai latte, since cinnamon is suppose to be good.
My husband's aunt gave us apple croustade 3 days ago made with honey, which I ate without a problem, I didn't feel any symptoms at all.
Oh and sushi made with brown rice. With avocado, salmons and cucumber, shrimps and other veggies!

So, I would like to know,
What kind of sugar can I eat exactly?
Is honey and maple syrup good?
What flour can I use?
I'm working on "translating" my beloved cook books and change every recipes I have to cook it "hypo-friendly"
I live close to a "Health tree" store, where they sell everything organic, and healthy for diabetics, gluten free, so getting the ingredients that might be rare for some is not a problem at all for me.

Thank you for your help and answers, looking forward to be an active member in this community.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2009
My suggestion only, for what its worth
I woudld suggest you eat from three food groups only right now. Fruit, Protein, and Vegetables.
Do you have any other medical problems other than Hypoglycemia? This would have to be thrown into the mix as well.
One thing I do know about diseases or sickneses is that their are very few people whom only have one disease or disorder by itself. When we really get sick we usualy have at least one more to go along with the hypoglycemia.
Your doctor is right, only you dietition would truly know what you could eat and only afer he or she knows all the different disorders you have going on.
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
No fats? ARE YOU NUTS?!!! I suggest you be careful of his suggestions, by his own admittance he's been sick with this for 20+ years and has never gotten anywhere and eats things like Ritz crackers, which are loaded with sugar and bad ingredients. Some things you should do and know:

1. Read my diet thread on this forum called 'Hypoglycemia Rules and Diet,' you won't find anything better than it. If you have questions about implementing it, let me know. All concerns you have should be addressed in there, if not I will and then add that to the thread.

2. There are several natural sweetners that you can use in place of sugar that are actually good for you. I recommend raw stevia. Fructose, against what you've probably heard, is actually okay so long as you're getting it from fruit (don't buy the bagged stuff). Fructose in fruit does not activate insulin the same way was regular sugar (avoid bananas, however). Maple syrup should be avoided. However, honey CAN be okay, provided that you're eating RAW honey. It's a little more expensive, but it doesn't require as much. Still, even then you should be limiting yourself to probably no more than 1 tablespoon every other day.

3. There really isn't a flour you can use, unfortunately. Ezekiel makes a number of sprouted grain products (look into them, this is one thing you should start eating in place of current pastas and breads). I have, however, used different types of alternatives to make things. For example, I've used a crushed nut meal to make pies, crushed hazelnut meal to make cookies (REALLY, REALLY good), and a combination of almond meal/groudn flax seed to make awesome pizzas. There are ways aroudn it, but unfortunately I haven't found a good 'flour' alternative for things such as dumplings or what not.

4. Use the store you mention to your advantage, it's quite easy to make a number of things you would think you couldn't eat. For example, you can make an awesome italian-style salad dressing, just by mixing olive oil, apple cider vinegar, an italian herb mix you can buy at the store, a little black pepper and some salt. Mix it up and put it on your salad. INCREDIBLE. You can use this same general base to make any kind of dressing you want. All you really need to do is take the time to look at what you like to eat and take out things you need to avoid altogether or replace them, if possible, with things you can eat. It takes more time than just popping a TV dinner in, but the results are obviously to your advantage and you'll have a lot of fun in the process.

5. I wish dieticians knew their stuff, but the sad reality is many don't. No one is really versed in treating this condition except for the people who have lived through it. If you have any questions for me, let me know, there is a 100% chance I've gone through everything you have and then some, so if you ever need support or anything or have questions you need answered, just ask.
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
Why you hung upon N0-salt Ritz
Why are you still hung up on no salt Ritz crackers?
No I do not have one diet recommendation for hypoglycemia like you do. I just simply recommended the three food groups only. It is up the the individual to find the foods that it best works for him or her.
Protein, Fruits, and vegetables
What works for me should not harm you or anyone else on this board. I too have been doing my trial and error experimenting with different foods as long as they fit into the three food groups mentioned above.
Yes, do not foget the vitamin supplements, you might need to ask your doctor about them as well.
Good Luck!
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Why? Because they have SUGAR in them. You clearly have no clue what you're doing if you're eating that kind of food. You don't even seem to acknowledge it's a possible problem and instead reply with "it's up to the individual to find what works for them". I don't see how eating SUGAR and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP would be good for anyone that has this! Works for you?! YOU'RE STILL SICK!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
There is not that much sugar in there...
One thing you must keep in mind, maybe I do know something about hypoglycemia.
The body turns everything we eat into a glucose mixture. Whether the sugar is man-made or natural sugar it all gets turned into glucose. Our body runs off of energy that energy is glucose for us and gasoline for cars and trucks.
We must watch how much sugar from any source comes into our bodies. I read the glycemic index on foods I put into my body. I also read the back of the label on foods or I eat organic foods and check on the mineral and vitamin ccmpounds before I even try it.
Any one of us knows what she or he is allergic to, through trial and error over the years they have been alive. Your body alone will tell you what it likes or allergic to in foods. It is up to you to listen to the rythemes of your body. I common person on the street knows if you eat something and it makes you feel sick after-wards that you must be allergic to it. You do not need a book to tell you that.
RITZ No-Salt Cracker do not have enough sugar in them to harm your diet one little bit. Just eat 5 or 6 crackers with your soup only. I have measured my blood glucose levels before and after meals so, I do know what I am talking about for my on special diet.
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
If you think that I want everyone who comes on here for help and reads this to be aware that what he is saying to do is DEAD wrong. That is not an allergy at all. You can never say you have an allergy unless you're tested, you're just making guesses based on nothing. This is one case where 'trusting your body' is NOT a good idea because it will do everything in its power to get you to eat things you shouldn't. Any processed food or sugar will only compound your problem over time or get you stuck in a cycle of agony. If you haven't figured that out that you're never going to. You say you're allergic to wheat but you eat those crackers. Allergic to cheese but you can drink milk. That's not an allergy. If you haven't been tested for allergies you can not say you have any and its dangerous to take that approach. Yeah, everything is made into glucose, but that's not the issue, the issue is the type of food you eat. It's called reactive hypoglycemia for a reason, your body reacts to what you put in it. Any food with processed sugar sends the wrong signals. You're never going to get better with these kinds of beliefs sticking around. If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't STILL BE SICK. That's all I need to know. If you said, yeah, well why do I only eat 3-4 times a day and feel great? I'd say, gee, yeah, maybe he does have something there. You're just as stubborn as the one girl I mentioned before, and sooner or later you'll realize it and make the right choices or sink like she did.
|

replied April 26th, 2009
Stan, I will read your diet post and read it again, and again, until I really understand it.
And if I have questions I will ask them in the diet post Smile

I'm glad I can use honey, raw honey is something widely available here, so finding it won't be too hard.
I love the idea of using hazelnut for cookies, I love hazelnuts and I will certainly use it.
At my health store they have hazelnut flour too.
I bought buckwheat and plan on using it and see if I get good results.

Final question, should I invest in one of these sugar meter? I forgot the name, it's the one with the pen and it gives you your result right away.

Thanks again for your help Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I would hold off on the buckwheat flour for awhile. If you were going to try to use it to make bread or pasta, just buy some Ezekiel products, eat about one slice of their bread per day (the low glycemic variety, comes in an orange wrapper) and one cup of their Penne pasta if you want. What were you going to use it for? The hazelnut meal, obviously, won't cause you a problem. I would mix it up with some butter and such, add a bit of steva (doesn't take much), put them down and then add a small glob of unsweetened, organic jelly to them for awesome cookies. Be careful with the honey, but raw shouldn't be too bad. Hmmm, well, if you haven't seen an endocriniologist and don't have any readings, it might be wise to track your sugar for at least three months to see what kind fo levels you're at. It's better to go to an endocrinologist, however, because they will often give you a FREE meter to test for this. When I went and explained my situation, they said they wanted to put me on a meter for three months. I got a free meter and strips that lasted me a good 1.5 months. I paid for the rest of the strips, but considering how much I got for free it was well worth it. It's up to you if you want to just buy one, as far as I know you can just go to any pharmacy and pick one up. I've heard the pen one (from a friend of mine who has diabetes), is more bothersome than the regular kind, but I've never personally tried it.
|

replied April 29th, 2009
I bought the penne pasta and will make them tomorrow night with my boyfriend, he will eat regular spaghetti and i'll have my ezekiel Smile

I was gonna use the buckwheat to make pancakes, the easy recipe that only uses flour water baking soda and salt.
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Great! Let me know how it goes, and remember, if you feel sick at first, it means things are starting to get better!
|