Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders Forum

Sores that won't heal - cysts ?

Must Read
Diverticulitis can affect any area of the digestive tract. Learn more about basic digestive system anatomy as we define what is diverticulitis here....
Do doctors know what causes internal inflammation of the digestive system? Are you at risk of developing diverticulitis? Learn more now....
Learn the characteristic signs of diverticulitis, and its possible complications here. Plus, more on when to seek help for diverticulitis in this section....
I have a question I really need help with! I have had a problem with sores that won't heal for up to 6mos at a time that look like ulcers/craters and when they do heal the scar usually re-forms back to a sore again. The sores I get on my hands and feet are different, they start as itchy spots that welt up then turn into fluid filled blisters. Then the blisters will pop and then scab and then start to heal but if it itchs again blisters will form again.
I have recently noticed that my skin looked "shiny" or "glittery" and when I took a closer look it is actully thousands of tiny blisters covering most of my skin all over my body, they have fluid in them, I managed to "pop" one and like a tiny speck of fluid was left on my skin and nail.
I was also diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease and then I also have cysts on my kidneys..
Now, my question is this: Is a cyst not a blister of sorts? and if so, do I have a blistering disorder that effects me inside and out? And if so, what is it? I also have swollen lymph nodes all over my body. And nodules all over my body also, they are painful (as are the cysts on my breasts). They cover my ribs and they can be felt under my skin everywhere... I also have swelling in my hands and feet and around joints and pitted edema on my lower legs and ankles.. Any ideas? Please help! If there are any doctors who know what this is I need a doctor who will listen and help! Thank you..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 26th, 2010
I'm just a nurse and no expert but it sounds to me like impetego,which is a contagious skin infection that can spread all over the body. If it is this, it can be treated with oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic creams and usually responds very quickly to treatment.
|

replied October 1st, 2011
little blisters possibility of dyshidrotic eczema
Dyshidrotic eczema, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/P MH0001835/
Dyshidrosis; Pompholyx
Last reviewed: August 8, 2011.

Dyshidrotic eczema is a condition in which small, usually itchy blisters develop on the hands and feet.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
This blistering type of eczema is twice as common in women than men.

People are more likely to develop dyshidrotic eczema when:

They are under stress

They have allergies, such as hayfever

Their hands are often in water or moist

They do cement work or other work that exposes their hands to chromium, cobalt, nickel

The cause is unknown. The condition seems to appear during certain times of the year.

Symptoms
Small fluid-filled blisters called vesicles appear on the fingers, hands, and feet. They are most common along the edges of the fingers, toes, palms, and soles. These blisters can cause intense itching and scaly patches of skin that flake constantly or become red, cracked, and painful.

Scratching leads to skin changes and skin thickening. Large blisters may cause pain.

Signs and tests
Your doctor may be able to diagnose this condition by simply looking at your skin.

Sometimes, a skin biopsy or skin scraping may be needed to rule out other causes, such as a fungal infection.

If your doctor thinks the condition may be due to an allergic reaction, allergy testing (patch testing) may be done.

Treatment
Scratching the hands when they itch only makes the condition worse. Yet scratching can be hard to stop.

Anti-itch medicines taken by mouth, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and loratiadine (such as Claritin), may help you break this cycle. If you scratch while asleep, take an anti-itch medicine before bed.

Ointments or creams should be used on the hands at least two times per day, and after every hand washing.

Heavy ointments are best. Petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline), mineral oil or vegetable shortening may be best but can be messy.

Creams are better than lotions. Creams such as Eucerin and Lubriderm may be helpful.

Your doctor may prescribe steroid (or corticosteroid) ointments creams, or other creams or ointments such as tacrolimus or pimecrolimus.

Your doctor may recommend the following if you have severe symptoms:

Steroid pills

Coal tar preparations

Phototherapy (ultraviolet light therapy)

Do not scratch the blisters. You should avoid frequent bathing, hand washing, and irritating substances, which can make itching worse.

Expectations (prognosis)
There is no cure. Dyshidrotic eczema normally goes away without problems, but symptoms may return later. Excess scratching may lead to thick, irritated skin, which is more difficult to treat and takes longer to heal.

Complications
Pain and itching that limits the use of the hands

Secondary bacterial infection

Calling your health care provider
Call your doctor if you have:

Tenderness, redness, warmth, or fever, which may be signs of an infection

Any type of rash that does not go away with simple home treatments

References
Veien NK. Acute and recurrent vesicular hand dermatitis. Dermatol Clin. 2009 Jul;27(3):337-53. [PubMed: 19580928]
Eczema and hand dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 3.
Review Date: 8/8/2011.

Reviewed by: A.D.A.M. Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, and David R. Eltz. Previously reviewed by Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington, School of Medicine (10/3/2010).
|

replied January 8th, 2012
You have EXACTLY what I've been getting every winter for the past 3 years. It's a type of dermatitis that's caused by a nickel allergy. You can have this allergy by ingesting it, having piercings, orthodontics that are surgical steel(has 16-20% containment of nickel). Severe cases like me have developed Vasculitis which is also caused by a nickel allergy...There are studies going on about this, but regular GP's aren't away of it yet. See a Dermatologist it was the best thing I've ever done!
|

replied January 29th, 2013
in your shoes
Did you ever find out what you had or the problem was?
|