Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Sore throat, often hard to breath

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
I've experiancing common cold symptoms for the past three days now. I've had a sore throat and its just been getting worse I've also had a runny nose, headache, swollen lymph node in my neck, no fever. This morning when I woke up I coughed and it just killed my chest. Throughout the day my sore throat hasen't gotton any better and the pain in my chest has just gotton worse. Do I have something I need to worry about? I've never had this chest pain before when I've come down with a cold. Should I see a doctor or just let the cold run it's course?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on ehealth forum.

It seems that you might be having a viral bronchitis, which might be the cause of your severe cough and chest discomfort.

Bronchitis is a difficult condition to tolerate, as the inflammation in the bronchi, results in severe cough, which can occur in bouts and disturb sleep.

But the condition is benign and self limited.

In case the symptoms are intolerable, you might consult a doctor who can prescribe inhalers and medications to releive the discomfort and rule out other conditions like pneumonia, etc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.