Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sore throat for three weeks

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
My throat has been sore for about 3 weeks. Oddly the pain disappears a few hours after waking and returns in the evening, making sleep difficult without use of over the counter medication.

Assuming it would go away on its own, it has not after about 3 weeks. The pain at one point moved from a centralized area in the throat to the left side, affecting the ear and gum. It has now returned to a centralized area.

I do not have a runny or stuffed sinus, or other symtoms generally associated with a cold or flu.

I have had several sore throat incidences over the past 9 months, which linger for a couple of weeks.

I had some smoke inhalation while I slept through a near fire incident in my home last fall. Smoke or soot covered everything in my home, even myself as my nostrils were black. My lungs seem fine, and I am not coughing now, other than an occasional dry cough.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You need to go to a doctor for any sore throat lasting more than 4 days or so. You might have strep or something. If that spreads, it can be life-threatening. Go to the doctor as soon as you can.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Supporter
I agree with MyrahU it's time to go to the doctor. My thoughts since the sore throat comes and goes morning and nights, that it could be allergies. I hope you feel better soon!
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
OMG they are my exact same symptoms. It was though I was reading my very own diary, LOL. What was the outcome? Did you go to the doctors? How long did it take to clear up?
|

replied October 1st, 2010
I am going through the same thing right now! Did any of you get any answers?
|

replied November 17th, 2010
u gotta be kiddin im goin thru it to, wut is it?
|

replied November 17th, 2010
u gotta be kiddin im goin thru it to, wut is it?
|

replied March 31st, 2012
im also going through the same thing right now. did any of you knew what it is? or what the cure is? im too freakin scared to go to the doctor. ive had sore throats before this but they usually go away in 2-3 days. same symptoms mentioned and i also smoke
|