Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Sore throat for 7 days

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
User Profile
Could this be something more than just a cold? I've had cold symptoms, fever, muscle aches, and sore throat during this week. Now all the symptoms seem to be tapering off (no fever today, not need for a Kleenex, very little coughing) and yet my throat still hurts just as much as it did 4 days ago.

Need I remind you that the longest sore throat I've ever had has been no more than a couple days so this is really unusual.

Has anyone else had one last this long before? Could this be mono or strep throat or something? What's going on...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile dksaami
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2009
sore throat for 7 days
It seems the good news is your symptoms are tapering off. Seems wise to see a doctor for a throat culture to eliminate possible strep or mono or whatever as seven days is a long time for a sore throat. I have found mint tea real soothing to the throat, no spicy foods except for garlic, and gargle with salt and warm water 3x daily. Have you tried a chinese herbal formula called Yin Chiao? Wow, has this worked wonders for me and my friends over the years.
|

User Profile
Just thought I'd update that I've been tested for strep and I don't have it. I think I'll be tested for mono tomorrow.

And I have been drinking herbal teas.
|

User Profile
blood test
Ask your doctor for a complete blood panel to see the condition of your immune system and blood. Might be something there.
|