Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

sore throat and now I had a swollen lymph node?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I'm 17 and I've had oral sex with two other men in the past couple of months. I also had anal sex with one but he wore a condom so I'm not too worried.
Yesterday I developed a sore throat and now I had a swollen lymph node on my neck. I've googled this and apparently it's a possible sign of HIV??? I'm also shaking but that might be out of anxiety than anything else. I do not have any other symptoms other than one swollen lymph node and a sore throat. I really don't know what to do because I have nobody to talk to about this and I'm really scared, please help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Symptoms due to HIV are very confusing and they can be due to a lot of other conditions. Hence HIV is not diagnosed based on signs on symptoms. It is diagnosed based on serology tests detecting HIV antigens and antibodies in the blood.

Your symptoms swollen glands could be due to common cold viruses or bacterial infection. You can consult a doctor who can prescribe a course of antibiotics to reduce your symptoms. Supportive therapy with NSAIDs (Advil), steam inhalation, cough lozenges, and adequate rest will also be helpful in quicker recovery.

The best way forward is to consult with your doctor, who can help you deal with your stress and anxiety. In addition you can clear all doubts about HIV by getting tested for HIV with a Antibody test after 4 weeks post exposure.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.