Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Sore Throat after Quitting Smoking?

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Ok, so I started smoking marijuana daily in around Jan 2009 until I quit about 2-3 weeks ago on account of my new girlfriend. Near the end of my smoking I mixed with a lot of tobacco (almost every time I smoked), and I've noticed that I've had a mild sore throat off and on since I've stopped. I wondering if this could be caused from withdrawal. I've had strep throat a few times before, and it doesn't seem the same type of sore throat as that, and it isn't seeming to get any worse with time. So I'm thinking it's possible it could be allergies or because I've quit smoking. I've heard it's possible that you can get a sore throat as your body heals from quitting, but is it normal for it to last a few weeks? Thank you very much for your time!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Yes, your body is trying to detox. It gets worse before you can get better.

I smoked cigarettes everyday for just over a year. After I quit cold turkey, I had a horrible sore throat that was on and off which also lasted for a couple of weeks. After three months, I didn't get sick anymore. So if you're really determined to quit, just stick with it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?