Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sore right side of body

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I am a 17 year old female, and recently I have felt like the whole right side of my body- from my neck down to my legs- is extremely sore. I am very active, I play soccer and practice yoga regularly. A few months ago I tore a ligament in my left foot, and reinjured it a few weeks later. It has since healed, but is still tight and a little swollen. I'm wondering if maybe this injury has caused me to favor my right side for the past few months, making my right side sore. The pain is pretty bad and has recently kept me from sleeping. My parents just laugh off my complaints, and I am sort of afraid to go to my doctor for fear of being laughed at. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WILDER9AU
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Supporter
Nobody can laugh at you.

Yes,It seems that you have been suffering from neck soft tissue injuries due to unproper exercise.

Have a rest,do exercise gentle.
You should be fine.
Good luck!
|

replied March 31st, 2011
You are so right Zak. A good doctor is one who really listens to her patients - this is so important to a good diagnosis. I have also experienced pain associated to "favouring" one side. I have back issues, and when I broke my foot, everything went a bit out of kilter. My gait was now excacertabing my problem. My doctor recommended physiotherapy, along with the other treatment to deal with pain, and she was able to really help with the strengthening and body awareness that I needed to carry myself in a more spine-neutral way. This is what worked for me.

Good luck! Keep fit! Eat well! Stay hydrated!
|

replied March 9th, 2010
tightness?
I think i have the same thing too!!!! i had a knee injury about two years ago, and it forced me to favor my right side. My pain goes from my neck all the way down to my toes. is your body tight too? Cuz my whole right side is extremly more tight than my left
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
what kind of pain is it. sharp? dull? aching? does it tingle? is it numbing? pete
|

replied March 9th, 2010
I cant really describe the "pain." I think the best word for it is tightness or stiffness. I guess the tightness causes me to feel discomfort and ultimately pain. Im not sure if i have the same thing the author has, but i believe we doo!!! Ive been living with it for two years. and every doctor looks at me like im crazy.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
me too
Hi, I just randomly did a search trying to find any answers to why the right side of my body is tight, and i found this forum... i guess you call it a forum.

This is great; other people have the same problem as i do. (which i guess really isn''t great, lol)

I notice this develope after I got a stress fracture in my left tibia and after developing chronic fatigue after having mono.

i don''t enjoy exercise anymore because my stiffness throws everything off balance.

So, has anyone found any answers???

It is nice to know others have this problem too.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
ahh im so happy that you responded, although im not happy about your "condition." hmm you said you got a stress facture in your left tibia, thats funny because before my chronic soreness/tightness i had extreme knee tendonitus. maybe our injury on the left side triggered something to make our body tight on our right side? ive searched countless hours on the web trying to find out what we have. if you find any answers, please let me know. but unfortunately i havent found anything yet. theres a couple of people on the web that i found that sound like they have the same thing. but there are no answers on them. but its nice to know that i am not the only one....
|

replied October 18th, 2010
right side, left brain... stress related?
Has anyone found any new information about this issue? I have tightness nearly all areas of the right side of my body (wrist, neck, thigh muscles, ankle) that I noticed was dramatically more pronounced than the left. I realized this when doing Yoga (which I have recently started to ramp up). I've had numerous impact injuries throughout my life from many sports that I've participated in, but with so many injuries I can't see how the right side would be more stiff. I was wondering if it could be a mind-body thing (right and left brain) I've been told that the left brain controls the right side of the body, and I have been under incredible stress as a software developer lately. The left side of the brain is the analytical, more 'engineer' side of the brain. hmmm....
|

replied March 15th, 2011
IVE READ THESE POST I EXPERIENCE SIMILAR PAIN AND HAVE DONE SO FOR YEARS I HAVE A THORACIC NERVE INJURY WHICH THINK MIGHT CAUSE THIS AND YES LIKE YOU GUYS DOCTORS LAUGH PEOPLE THINK WHAT EVA THAT BECAUSE LAKE OF UNDERSTANDING I THINK IF YOU KEEP IT UP YOU WILL GET SOME USEFUL INFORMATION I ALSO LIKE SOME OF YOUS HAVE HAD A POST GO THROUGH MY LEG BUT NEVER SEEM TO THINK IT WAS A PROBLEM AFTER A WHILE THEM PAIN I GET FROM NECK TO THE HIP I THINK COULD BE THAT MY DOMINATE SIDE IS MY RIGHT SO THERE FOR WHEN I AM CONSTANTLY REACHING DOWN TO USE THINGS GRAB THINGS ETC I SEEM TOO COMPRESS THAT SIDE SO I HAVE BEGAN TRYING TO REVERSE IT WITH TRYING TO DO ACTIVITIES WITH MY LEFT TRYING TO ALIGN MY POSTURE WHEN I DO THIS I GET POP IN RIBS AND NECK AND DOWN MY ABDOMINALS THIS SEEM TO RELIVE THIS DISCOMFORT IM NOT SHORE HOW LONG IT TAKE BUT I HAVE BOUGHT A INVERSION TABLE ITS A GREAT THING IT HANGS YOU UPSIDE DOWN AND STRECTCHS THE BODY STRAIGHT BETTER THAN SEEING A CHIROPRACTER LIKE I SAID THOUGH EXPLAIN THIS TO A DOCTOR AND THEY LOOKED PUZZELED BECAUSE THEY CANT FIX IT WE HAVE TO I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN SOME USEFUL INFORMATION THANKS
|

replied March 24th, 2011
Phantom Pains
Just recently developed this pain in the right side of my body. It started one night in my shoulder/neck area, it went away by the next day, the next night it began again and by morning was still there. It hurt throughout the day. The next morning my shoulder didn't hurt much, put felt a sharp, nerve like pulling pain in top of my foot, just under my toes. My side also has the same sharp pulling pain. I've read a good bit about other people with the same pains. I don't know of anything in particular that causes this. I haven't injured myself recently, but it does seem to show itself more after I've been drinking. Anyone finding anything solid on this matter, please post!!
|

replied March 27th, 2011
PAIN ON ONE SIDE OF THE BODY
I am a Doctor. Differential Diagnosis would be as follows:

1. Any nerve injury
2. Problem in the spine
3. Fibromyalgia ( it is not one sided but who knows ? may be a new variant of Fibromyalgia)
4. Metastatic cancer( but it would not be whole oneside , it actually is some parts so chill and relax)
5. Psychological Pain known as PAIN DISORDER.
|

replied April 10th, 2011
There could be more causes kindly contact your doctor. I still dont have a license to work as a doctor so dont rely on me please
|

replied April 18th, 2011
Short term relief & possible findings of cure to the root ca
I have a similar condition. The right side of my body is feeling super tight right now and I wanted to know if there are others who experience the same thing. Apparently there are quite many.

I don't believe that doctors can help solve this problem as modern doctors tend to "treat" problems with drugs and operations instead of looking for a more natural "cure" to the root of the problem. No offence to the doctor who posted above.

I have a simple relief that I found to work quite well on me. I go see an Osteopath who can also do needling. He uses needles to attack the irritated nerves around the tight muscles and manipulate them until there are some twitchings. The muscles will feel a bit sore like you're having bruises for a few hours but then after 8 hours or so (or overnight), the pain goes away and you can feel the tight muscles have become loose.

However, while I try to balance my muscle work between the left and right side as much as I can (sometimes even I try to use more of the left side of my body), my tightness keeps on coming back to the right side. What I am trying to understand is what makes this problem keep on coming back? What is the actual cause of this tightness. Perhaps someone who knows how muscles work, what they're made of and how tightness forms can help answer this question.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
I am 60+ yrs of age and have had right side pain for a few years. About 23 yrs ago I noticed that my right ankle had swollen and I had experienced some pain in my right leg. I stayed off my feet for a while and never really noticed it again until a few yrs ago when I began to exercise. Now, since I am a woman, I suffered with fibromyalgia for more than three yrs. The insurance company would not give my doctor (now deceased) permission to operate on me because I had not lost ENOUGH BLOOD although I bled EVERYDAY for three years. It was not until I was found laying in my own blood and feces that a doctor saved my life curing my fibromyalgia (no hysterectmy)about 16 yrs ago. My exercising began about 12 yrs ago and I was doing fine until I wrenched my back. I stop the exercise and have gradually gotten back to exercising again. When I mention this to my doctor he says it's my imagination, but when you look at my knees, my right knee at times, is considerably larger than my left knee. When the back of my neck, shoulder, hip, thigh, knee, arm, hand and ankle (all on the right side)there is no comfort. I have taken presciption muscle relaxers, otc muscle relaxers, etc and nothing helps. Right now because I am hurting so bad, I am on my way to have a deep tissue massage (will last for about 30 days), come back home, take a shower, a pain reliever, and go back to bed, this time to get some sleep. I have been checked for blood clots and have had an MRI and nothing is ever found. I do hope someone - anyone can find more information about what is happening to so many people and the pain that we are experiencing.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Rightside60,

I think you have the name of your female problem a little incorrect. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder, in which there is widespread muscle pain, on both sides of the body and both above and below the waist. It is thought to be due to overactive nerves, causing the deep muscle pain.

Your excessive bleeding was probably from uterine fibroids.

The two conditions are not associated with each other.

I was confused by your statement: "When the back of my neck, shoulder, hip, thigh, knee, arm, hand and ankle (all on the right side)there is no comfort." Do you mean you have pain in all those areas?

You also state: "...but when you look at my knees, my right knee at times, is considerably larger than my left knee." That sounds like you have an intermittent inflammatory problem. Which could be due to overuse (the exercise) or from some inflammatory arthropathy. You should see the physician when the knee is swollen. If you can't get in exactly when the knee is swollen, take pictures of the knee, and also of both knees, for comparison.

If the discomfort is bothering you significantly, keep seeing your physician. Sometimes is takes several examinations before the exact cause is determined. And normal studies just keep narrowing down the field.

Good luck.
|

replied October 8th, 2012
I have been having the same sort of pain on the entire right side of my body for about ten years now. Like most of you, I have been to doctors who have told me "it's all in my head", I've had tests which come back negative, they can't find anything. Although I do not have a definitive answer to what maybe going on, I will tell you a couple of things which have helped me recently. 1) My pain was accompanied by a feeling of blockage in my system, (i.e. sinus pressure clogging one side of my nasal passage, sore throat confined to the right side, inability to release gas due to inflammation of the right side of my throat and rectum, the feeling that I was reduced to using only my left lung.) I don't know if, or how many of you have/are experiencing the same symptoms, but I assume some of you are. Anyway, I went to my doctor and explained to him what was going on, and that I felt the cause of my problem was emanating from the right lower portion of my groin/abdomen. He set me up for an MRI of the region, upon which he gave me an injection to help see what may be causing this, and I'll tell you, shortly after they gave me the injection my symptoms began clearing up. I don't know how or why, but it really seemed to help. I can now breath out of both nostrils, I feel like I am back to using 100% lung capacity, and I can also pass gas normally once again.
2) Although the MRI injection seemed to clear up the inflammation, I still had pain on my entire right side. Well, a few weeks later I was lying in bed and began poking around my lower back. I was able to pinpoint a spot on the right side which I now believe is where all of this pain is radiating. I began to massage the area, and to my surprise, the pain on the whole right side of my body started to ease. I am not a doctor, but if I had to guess the cause, I would have to attribute it to the way I walk. I also wear inserts in my shoes because my right leg is a little bit shorter than my left. I believe when I walk, this area of my back is being tweaked, and without proper ease and relaxation, building tension causing the pain to radiate throughout the entire side of my body. I hope this information helps some you relieve some of the pain you are experiencing. I still do not feel 100%, but I do think I may be getting close to figuring it out.
|

replied October 16th, 2012
I was seein a cranial orthodontist too correct my bite.. But he was making my left side tight i had gastritis sinus hips calves hamstring.. .. So i stop usibg the splint n started to stretch my hips n my gastritis n hips were gone of pain.. Still have tigt calf n upper back.. Gonna see a dentist that does alf aplliance hopefully that splint can correct the imbalance
|