Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

sore on left arm

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I hope maybe someone can shed some light on this mysterious rash/leision/sore on my left arm.

It appeared about 4 days ago as a simple bug bite. I scratched it, and within less than a day, it turned into a raised red area with small blister-like things. It felt to be "pitted" in the middle while raised elsewhere.

Within 3 days of it appearing as a bug bite, it looked much as it does today (photos below). It is no longer "pitted" in the middle, but nearly all raised to the same level. The blister-like things are weeping a clear fluid much of the times and are scabbed, as seen below (the liquid seems to weep around the scabs and bubbles up). In fact, right this second, it's quite wet from the liquid oozing from a few areas. The entire thing itches like the devil, with the outer edge being the worst, though it itches around the entire thing, out to a good inch. I am not scratching the thing itself, though I will admit I've scratched about an inch away and around it a time or two. It's larger than a nickel, but smaller than a quarter. The skin feels tight, it tingles a bit and as I mentioned, is severely itchy. At times, it also has a "creepy crawly" sort of feel to it under the surface. It appears quite swollen and crusty, as seen in the image.

(The red circle nearby is just the imprint from a band-aid. I washed the area - have tried to keep it clean - and covered it with a first-aid-kit ointment and band-aid for about 10 hours, but it appears to have not helped or perhaps made it worse).

Has anyone come across this, or have any ideas? I've searched the internet up and down and can't find anything like this. My first thought was ringworm, but it doesn't appear to be the same at all.

I'm not sure if I should get it checked out (I do not have insurance, but certainly can get it checked out), if I should be concerned or not.

Thanks! I much appreciate any replies. I'd be more than happy to answer questions for details, if needed.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 20th, 2009
looks like you took a picture of my arm! I don't have insurance either but after looking at all the gross pictures online , I spent the $85. and went to the doc. Its ringworm, or in otherwords a fungus.Per the doctor you just treat it with antifungal cream like lamisil. It will take 2 -4 weeks to go away, also don't panic if you see another sore just treat it the same way. Wear long sleaves or a gause because its contagious. No bandaids, fungus breads in moist areas.Hope this helps.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
I have the same thing on my arm. It first came on my chest. It was puffy and just like your picture. I thought it was ringworm2... But my mother didn't think so.....i didn't know what to do. I searched the internet and came across your pic. But still schedule an appointment. Thanks alot.
|

I have the same thing on my arm. It first came on my chest. It was puffy and just like your picture. I thought it was ringworm2... But my mother didn't think so.....i didn't know what to do. I searched the internet and came across your pic. But still schedule an appointment. Thanks alot.
|

|

|