Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sore neck ear ache

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
"I had a sore neck, just on one side and now my ear on that side has a strange feeling in it. It doesn't hurt, but feels stuffed and itchy. What could that mean? should I see a Dr. or use some kind of ear drops to see if that helps."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Jenna,

You could have dysfunction or an infection in the eustation tube. This tube connects the middle ear to the throat. It is through this tube that the pressure in the middle can become equal to the outside. That's why your ears pop when you swallow, when the air pressure changes (airplane, mountains, etc).

Infections in the throat can affect the tube, and like wise, infections in the middle ear can affect the throat. It doesn't even have to be an infection, but just an inflammation can cause problems.

If the pressure in the middle ear gets too high it can cause pain. This is why babies are so uncomfortable with ear infections. And if you have ever been in a plane and can't pop your ears, you know the pressure pain. It also works the other way, scuba divers have to have clear ears, or the pressure under water can really cause problems.

If you develop uncomfortable pressure in the ear, develop a fever, or the throat is just too sore, you might want to see your physician. Ear drops, unfortunately, only affect the external or outer ear canal.

Hope you feel better soon. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: neck, ear ache, ear, ache, itchy
Quick Reply