Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

sore just like when I'm about to have my period, but...

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi,
My husband and I have been trying for a baby since mid Sep 2011. Ever since we started having unprotected sex my period has gone all over the place. Got my period in Oct 23, 2011, but didn't get it in Nov and Dec. Finally got it back Jan 15,12. This period in Jan we started using ovulation strips and I got positive for lh surge on Jan 26, and my husband and I had sex later that day. Later this month I also got a UTI (Feb 3-9) and was on amox for 7 days. Now it's almost march, I haven't got my period yet, I was supposed to get it last week. No symptoms, my breats are a little bit sore just like when I'm about to have my period, hunger and a need to pee in the middle of the night, back pain, but it comes and goes, all very mild. I took two pregnancy tests (one the day my period was due and the other 4 days later) and both came out negative. Should I go to the doctor cause missing your period for months is not ok? An ultrasound just to check I'm healthy and can conceive naturally?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2012
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A31989
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The delay in periods could be due to stress of infection and medication use. The recent symptoms (missed periods, sore breasts, increased hunger/appetite, frequent urination, back pain etc) that you describe could suggest possibility of pregnancy if you had been sexually active during ovulation time. The urine pregnancy tests done very early in pregnancy can show you false negative results as the kits are calibrated ones, so unless the hormone levels in urine reach a certain level, they do not show positive results. Urine pregnancy test kits usually start showing positive results after about 20 days post-conception (roughly corresponding to about 1 week after your missed/altered periods). The test should always be done on early morning first urine sample to get accurate results (pregnancy hormone HCG is believed to be in highest concentration in this sample, and you should avoid lot of fluid intake and caffeinated beverages in the night before taking the test). If pregnancy is suspected, do not delay in visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.