Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Sore Dry Red Eyes?? Really anxiety/stress?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi everyone,

I am new here and have recently been diagnosed with high levels of anxiety. I have a lot going on eg; stomach pains, indigestion, dry mouth/throat, muscle pains and seem to be getting very itchy with dry skin. From what I have read these CAN actually happen with stress and anxiety, BUT my question is, has ANYONE experienced sore/dry/reddish eyes as well with stress and anxiety?

I would say every day over the last 2months along with the other symptoms my eyes have felt dry/sore and looked quite inflamed and red. In saying that people who look at me say my eyes don't look incredibly red inflamed, just like I haven't slept. Typically they are worse on waking in the morning which makes me suspicious it is not caused by anxiety/stress.

I would LOVE to hear from ANYONE who has experienced this symptom or anything like it PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.

I guess I am not entirely convinced all my symptoms are actually due to stress/anxiety as my Doctor has said. I am generally a happy person and on the DAS test (Depression, Anxiety, Stress) that my doctor gave me I was completely normal aside from anxiety which was raised.

Anyway THANKS in advance.

James
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper msg2james
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi James,

Have you been seen by an optomologist? You could be suffering from dry eye, which could be from any number of things. Now that everyone else has looked at your eyes and given their opnions, have a professional look at them and give his/her opnion.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Hello, msg2james,
I have very similar symptoms some times. It happens when I'm very emotionally stressful. Especially if I sleep a lot, and when exposed to bright room light after being in dark for a long time.
I think it's due to nerve tention in eyes. This tention makes the eyes very rigid.
If I'm not sleeping too much, however, my eye would be fine most time. Hope that helps.
|