Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Son smells like pickles

Hey everyone. I am trying to find out what would cause my three year old to smell like pickles. He hasn't eaten any pickles in a while. But it seems like when he sweats he smells like pickles. His breath some times smells like pickles and when he pees it some times smell like pickles. Does any one know what this could be?

Worried
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2009
Your question is very challenging. You didn't mention whether he is otherwise healthy. If he is an otherwise healthy young man, he probbably has colonization with bacteria on the skin that are leading to the smell when he sweats. You can try using a topical anti-bacterial such as Hibiclens. Check with your doctor or a pharmacist to discuss any particulars about your son's case to make sure that it is safe and to review risks and precautions for use of this type of products. Several applications are usually sufficient to take care of colonizations.

I hope this helps. Again, you may want to discuss further with your pediatrician if this measure fails to work or if your son has other unusual symptoms. Rare inborn errors of metabolism can be associated with unusual body smells as well as other health issues in children

|

replied May 1st, 2011
2 yr old's breath smells like pickles
Hi I came across your post while looking for the cause of my two yr. old's breath smelling of pickles! What is this caused from he is in good health his sweat does not smell like this nor does his urine although his urine has a strong smell to it. I have heard of diabetes causing the breath to smell sweet but this is not sweet smelling could it still be the cause though???
Also Worried
P.s he has not eaten pickles recently either!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.