Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Son has lost 10 lbs.,eating, drinking very little,

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
My son was dx with Mono on 01/01/17. His AST was 405. He is not eating and is drinking very little. Of course he sleeps a lot. They did put him on antibiotics yesterday for his ear infection. He has lost 10 lbs this week. Is this something to be concerned with?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2017
Mononucleosis Answer A59962
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Mono should resolve in a week or two, supportive care and antibiotics and follow up every 72 hours for liver enzymes is advised till they reach normal. Nothing to worry about but needs monitoring .

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.