Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Someone my age, so many polpys?

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
User Profile
During a colonoscopy to find out why my stomach has been hurting for several months on and off the doctor found and removed 4 polyps. I am only 43. He told me that this was not what was causing my pain, pretty much said it was IBS. Anyway, he said the polpys looked ok but they would send them for testing to make sure. My question is isnt it unusual for someone my age to have so many polpys and can the doctors normally tell by looking at the polyp that it is not cancerous. Test results should be in this week. I am worried sick

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2011
Colon Cancer Answer A20362
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Your concern is regarding the 4 polyps in the colon diagnosed and removed on colonoscopy with the pathology report still pending.
Colon polyps are growths on the inside of the colon.Colon polyps that often become cancerous are called adenomas or adenomatous colon polyps.The risk of an adenomatous colon polyp becoming cancerous increases as the size of the polyp increases.Diets high in fat and low in fiber predispose an individual to develop colon polyps. If the polyp is not an adenoma, then follow- up with colonoscopy is not necessary. If a first or subsequent colonoscopy finds three or more adenomas, the next colonoscopy should be between one and three years later. If a polyp is flat (sessile) and, therefore, is more difficult to remove completely, then the site of the removal should be checked in 3-6 months to document complete removal and then again one year later.
Polyps in the colon are extremely common, and their incidence increases as individuals get older.Therefore, screening for colon polyps and removing them before they become cancerous should markedly reduce the incidence of colon cancer.
You can keep your fingers crossed for the favorable pathologic report in your case.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.