Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Some worrying symptoms....odd sensations in my arms?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hi all. I have MS in m family on both sides. Aunty is currently living & managing the condition, while my Grandad passed away on 1997 (he was given 3 months to 2 years to live in the 1960's....he lasted 31 years with the condition! Smile)
I have displayed some symptoms in the past which the family GP has ruled out as being MS related. He has never performed any tests.
In the last 2 weeks I have had some odd sensations in my arms. It started with both feeling VERY heavy, like I'd just lifted weights. This passed and left me with an achy right arm, stemming from my shoulder. It gave me some discomfort in my right hand but nothing too bad. Over the last 2-3 days I have had a significant reduction in strength in my right arm and hand. My fingers feel very weak...its like I am willing them to grip/type properly but they aren't responding as usual. Lifting my arm is something of a struggle too. Basically from my right shoulder to right finger tips the sensation is very heavy/lethargic with occasional pins & needles.

I am now a bit nervous about returning to the doctor and presenting with these symptoms, so what Im after is someone in the know to give me a bit more information as to whether these are usual symptoms of MS? A scour of the internet is all well & good but the advice is conflicting to say the least!

Thanks everyone Smile Sarah
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 19th, 2011
While to me those do sound like MS symptoms and you do have MS on both sides of your family there are other conditions that mimic MS. You need to go to a neurologist and have an mri done. There is a national MS Assoc. you can contact for help.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Many thanks dazeymae, I have an appointment with my GP n Monday morning...I'll probably have to beg for an MRI but we'll see what happens Smile
|