Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

some fluid oozing out from under the nail

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
User Profile
I was trimming my toenails yesterday, and when I trimmed the big toe of my right foot I was surprised to first find some fluid oozing out from under the nail where I trimmed it. This fluid was clear and did not amount to more than 5-8 cc's. I wiped it off and then blood started to flow from the same spot. Not a lot but enough to take notice. I did not cut the skin near the edge nor was there any sign of a blister or clot under the nail when I started the trimming. The bleeding continued this morning, not a lot but enough to fill a band-aid.
Again I did not cut the skin nor was there any sign of any clot or blister. I'm a 50 y/o healthy male with no history of any medical issues. I do wear steel toe boots everyday except Sunday and have worn out the present pair, I just bought a new pair so I wonder if the inside of the boot could be causing a pressure to build up.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Blood Disorders Answer A19330
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Based on the history provided, it seems that you might have had friction or pressure induced subungual blister, under the nails.

since the fluid has been released now, it may heal on its own.

You might consider changing the shoe or checking it for availability for room may be beneficial.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Foot Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.