Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Somatic Anxiety \ G.A.D.

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello, Im 15 years old, and have had SD/G.A.D for the past 3 months now. It started with panic attacks, Id get short of breath, tightness in chest, and the feeling that Im going to die or hurt somebody else. My doctor diagnosed me as having these problems, and gave me Lexapro 10mg. and Klonopin .5mg. I dont know why I am feeling like this, I am in top physical condition, I can run a mile in 8 minutes, I have 7.2% body fat, and do very well in weight training. The medicine doesn't seem to help, and lately the panic/anxiety attacks have gone away, but I get this feeling of Im going to die, hard time sleeping (and when I do I sleep for like 12 hours at once0, and feelings that everything I see is a video, and a foggy mind. I cant remember things like I used to and it makes me worried. Are these feelings normal? Do you suggest a higher dose\ different type of medication (to replace the Klonopin)? It would help if you told me about your experiences too.

I also smoke, and tried quitting but never succedded? Would this cause anxiety?

Thanks.

~KSR
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I am on Zoloft for anxiety, I recently went through horrible stress and it gave me severe panic attacks just like the ones you describe. I thought I was dying for sure, but I went to urgent care and they told me that I was fine,they did the EKG, and blood tests, heart monitor. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. I also got that weird feeling like everything is a video, I always describe it as a feeling of unreality. I hate that because then I feel even worse.

There is one tip I learned that helps me tremendously with panic. Calm breathing, Calm thinking ,Calm reacting. It sounds over simple, but when you use them like a checklist against the panic attack, it really calms you down. I also heard paic attacks described as a bully, if you stand your ground calmly they will go away. It really helps!
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Whatever makes you feel happy is what you should do often to relax. Be conscious of what you are thinking and control those thoughts. When you're not afraid to live, you won't be afriad to die.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Hi to all,

I am Merissa, a life coach and online counselor.

As you have personally experienced and realized, doctors, prescriptions and medication can only help this much, and the rest will have to depend on nobody but yourself. And I want you to know that you have the ability to help yourself get better.

Panic attack can happen when you get too fixated with a certain thing of feeling. Perhaps you are too upset with a certain event or you are too focused on the feelings of fear,worry, anxiousness or losing of control. When you know that you are feeling "weird" already, you should not think towards that certain issue or feeling, but think AWAY from it.

As I've always believed, you need to get to the root of the issue to really solve it. Eating pills will only chase away the symptoms resulted from the very core of the issue. And you have to discover what is the true reason to your problems. Feeling like you're dying is not normal, and it can hamper your progress in life and normal living if you do not deal with you now. You wouldn't want your current issues to be still around in the future, would you?

Let me help you to overcome these hurdles and teach you how you can enjoy your life better. Why not you contact me com and I can follow through with you? I am a online counselor and we provide free online counseling for people in need.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
anxiety
hey m hving severe problems of nxiety! cn u plese mail me ur id
|

replied March 12th, 2010
oh homie i feel you pain!
I got panic disorder when I was 17 and i've been dealing with it the last 4 years, I'm also vegetarian and take part in many sports. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
The feeling of everything being on video is called derealization. also if you sometimes feel like you body isn't yours it's called deprersonalization. These are REALLY COMMON for people with high anxiety.
As well, it is really normal to be so wired you can't sleep because anxiety makes your brain overactive like crazy. It is also not uncommon to sleep a lot when you do get to sleep because all the hyperactivity is exhausting for your body.
I think you need to see a therapist dude. You also need to try to do some meditation and breathing exercises. I STRONGLY reccomend you try to talk to your family about this as well. It might take a while for them to get what's going and to believe it is a true problem, but getting worries and panic out that way can help you from exhausting yourself.
Avoid caffeine, stuff high in sugar and alcohol if you can. These tend to make some of the symptoms worse.
Finally try to get off the meds unless you ABSOLUTELY can't do without them. Your body knows how ot produce all the neurotanrsmitters it needs, the reason you panic is because your mind is MISINTERPRETING physiological signs that are normal as signs that your need to engage in flight or fight. I.e. if your heart rate goes up or your breathing becomes fast during exercise it might end up becoming a panic attack if you pay too much attention to it. Try your best to interpret you physical and mental feelings that seem "weird" or "alarming" to you as just another feeling.
As well if you feel fear just coming on all of a sudden try to talk to yourself and ask yourself what it is you are afraid of, than ask yourself if it is reasonable for you to be afraid. A panic attack will never kill you, it is harmless so don't be afraid of having it. In fact, when it starts try and see how anxious you can make yourself, see if you can MAKE yourself panic MORE. You will prove to yourself that it all goes away within a few minutes and that it's not going to harm you.

beast of luck! I am sure it will go AMAZINGLY!
|

replied March 12th, 2010
oops also I forgot to mention i've been smoking since i was 15 as well and I haven't quit successfully. it has never affected my anxiety at all. i am trying to quit now actually and i find the anxiety of going through quitting is making things much worse.
another thing i forgot: the memory problem. I was in highschool wehn i first started having panic attacks. I kept having to ak to go to the bathroom and such to get out of class. it was really embarassing and terrifying. Now that wouldn't be so bad if I also didn't somehow have this blanking of memory. I went from being a person who remembers word for word every lecture in class even 3 years later to not remembering a conversation i had with someone 5 minutes ago more than just what it was generally about. anxiety wreaks HAVOC on memory. I'm in university now and I notice I have to spend a lot more time studying than some people during exams simply because I get so anxious my memory doesn't want to work as well. The more anxiety goes down the better you can focus and pay attention and the better your memory will be. it's all about quieting the mind. (which meditation is great for). but overall the memory problem of high anxiety made me feel really stupid, i was one of the best students in my highschool and then in my last year i was doing mediocre at best because of something I never asked for that randomly decided to invade my life and steal my focus and attention. Anxiety can be frustrating but it should give you more fuel to fight back.
No matter how bad it gets never stop fighting and never stop having patience. Also, never let it define who you are. being young and getting this affliction will mess with your self-concept a lot, but rise above.
|