Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Social Anxiety/OCD/depression

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Before I tell you my story, I am an 18 year old, male, senior in HS, who plays varsity soccer and is not very social due to my mental problems. I have been in Catholic School my whole life, and I am not super religious but I do believe in God.

Ever since I was in the fifth grade or so, I have dealt with social anxiety. When I was younger I overcame this by being the class clown and also saying the meanest things to others if they had said anything about me that was remotely unkind. I also hated it when the more popular kids in my class made fun of the nerds or the strange kids. I never wanted to be made fun of so whenever someone tried to make fun of me or someone else, I would think of the best comeback so they would never even think about making fun of me or someone else ever again. In all honesty I think I was pretty insecure.

Once eighth grade hit, my world pretty much flipped upside down. I was watching an episode of dateline with my dad and it was about a woman being kidnapped, raped, and murdered. My initial response was "whoever did this is so sick in the head" but then about 5 minutes later I thought "what if I raped someone." I felt so guilty and i felt like scum. Over the years, I've had a lot of sick thoughts such as "what if a knife slipped out of my hand and it stabbed one of my parents" or "what if I killed the dog." Initially, i think i just had social anxiety, then OCD, and finally depression due to being cut from soccer my sophomore year and my uncle passing away from lung cancer within 2 weeks of each other. I just felt as if there is no end to all this confusion and pain.
I have had a few symptoms such as a stiff neck and some memory loss as of recent. I know there is a chemical imbalance in my head, I'm almost positive. I haven't talked to my doctor even though this has been going on for four years.

I told my parents I was depressed last winter, but then they asked why and I couldn't tell them. A week passed and i told them i overcame it. About 3 weeks ago my dad asked me if I was depressed because it was a saturday night and i wasn't doing anything which was strange for me and I just said i was tired. And for the record, i do have faith that i will be able to get out of this mess, however I just don't know where to begin.
I don't know how to approach this, I really need help. If anyone can lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it alot.
Did you find this post helpful?
|