Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Soaking in baking soda ?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Can someone answer this.
If you alkalize the body more you are able to disolve the uric crystal/acid more and eliminate it from the body. Many take baking soda or sodium bibarbinate to alkalize.
Apparently the skin absorbs nuttrient, so if you soak your soar gout attacked foot in warm water with baking soda, will this help or not??
I've been wondering about this, and cant find anything on the net IN treating an attack this way. By the way i tried this and I was pain free or I was mistaken and the attack was healing because of the strong painkillers I was taking.
I cannot ingest baking soda as it gives severe stomach.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi ag1010,
Soaking your foot in comfy tea is a great reliever if the baking soda doesn't work for you.

Good Luck

Faded Rose
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I realize this post is a couple of years old, but I'm wondering if you meant comfrey tea, FadedRose?
|

replied December 20th, 2009
It's worth a try. Someone wrote that they give racehorses baths of baking soda before races because it counteracts lactic acid and so they can run better afterwards. So external application would appear to be helpful. Similar to you, I have problems with taking baking soda orally. I can drink it, but after a couple of days of it, I just feel weird, and I think it's because of the salt buildup. It helped a bit with gout, but not enough to be the cure-all. Still, when I would get an attack, I would have baking soda for several days. Potassium balances out salt, so I was thinking maybe if I took potassium tables on same days as baking soda, maybe it would feel better, but I never tried it yet. I don't gout attacks anymore because of medecine (allopurinol), so I haven't had a chance to keep experimenting.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
hello, you are certainly on a good track with the baking soda baths, they do indeed alkalize your body, especially if mixed with about a cup of sea salt.

Also, you should check out the benefits of oil pulling. Do some research on it-read some testimonies as well. I do oil pulling and I firmly believe in it. If it can cure diabetes, cancer, etc. then I'd certainly think it can cure gout.
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2012
gout
I soak my gouty finger in baking soda and luke warm water, and the pain goes away as long as I keep it in the water.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
Gout in ankle
I have had an aweful time with gout in my ankle. Not fun. I did a foot soak with. Dry warm water above my ankle and mixed in a cup and a half of baking soda. Soaked foot 3-4 times a day. Followed with 4 ibuprofen every 5 hours. Drank moderate water . It important to drink moderately so your body an absorb the water and process. To fast to much is not good water practice. Have crutches around too. When my gout was at its peak and I could not sleep. I tried this out of desperation and I have to say it gets better after each soak. Soak for 20 mins Asian girl moved out?and if the water is to warm and stingy. Sit through it. I would say that baking soda soda works. I wouldn't go as far as drinking it now that you know this input. Now if you get gout under your knee cap. Make a slush like paste of baking soda. Apply to area around the knee and keep wrapped with plastic food wrap. Good luck.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
I meant very warm water not dry warm water. Typing on a iPhone. So sorry guys. And the sentence with asaain girl moved out? I have no clue on that input.
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Just FYI ... cherries or 'juicy juice' cherry juice 100% juice no sugar added. Drink a cup a day and it sifts out the uric acid out of your liver which in turn assists in avoiding flare ups with Gout.

I did this for many years and it barely ever flares-up. But also within the past few years I was diagnosed with MTHFR a defiency in B12, folic acid and B6 but I need the converted form of B12 which is methylB12. Maybe you have a defiency in B12 which also causes gout.

So try one or both but I'd suggest the methylB12 1000 over the regular form it absorbs quicker into your system.

Gout is normally caused by liver abnormalities which causes the liver not to sift out the uric acid out of the body so trying the above helps greatly. I do not take dr prescribed meds because I found them useless so I take the above w/ baking soda drinks and baths. Normally when I take the baking soda drinks I only do it for a week or two until I feel relief of the desolving uric acid around my joint, etc. The rest of the time it is methylb12 daily and a cup of cherry juice everyday or every other and I do not have flare-ups and I can eat what ever I want by doing so. Smile So seafood is not a prob for me following the above meds.

Enjoy!
|